pfSense + SSD?

ZzBloopzZ

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello,

My Intel i350-T2 (dual port) gigabit adapter finally just came in for my Xeon TS140. I will be migrating from a Netgear WNDR3700 to the latest pfSense.

I plan to run pfSense as a VM under ESXi. I have several 256GB Samsung 830 SSD's laying around so want to use one of those. Should I be fine with the normal installer or should I use the NanoBSD version?

I know there is a huge thread about using SSD's with pfSense on their forums but I feel like it is outdated and full of misconceptions. FYI, this will be for a home environment. Figured I would post here for feedback.

BIG misconceptions. I've run pfSense on flash or varying types for years, including a 1GB CF card for multiple years and with full logging. That's not to say there isn't an element of common sense that needs to be exercised here regarding SSD wear, but assuming this is for home, just keep a good config backup and go for it.

Thanks for the response. Should I use nanoBSD or normal version on the SSD?

I run. ESXi 5.1 on SSD with pfSense and others with no trouble yet for three years around. Agree with Nate, make sure to backup your config from pfSense but also documented well the ESXi setup. What network interfaces is mapped to what VM etc.

note also, in the newer versions (not sure when it was added), you can redirect /tmp & /var to ramdisk, and only have it commit to disk on a timer basis, from 1 hour to 24 hours. That would probably cut down writes dramatically.

You would pick the normal installer. Nano/embedded is for headless/appliance installs.

Back