PfSense + ESXi 5 = 10Mbit Limit

DlStreamnet

Limp Gawd
Hi guys, I do have another thread regarding this but thought I'd clear it up to get some more targeted help if possible. Background:
Intel Xeon 1230
DQ67SW
16GB non-ECC
2x 10/100/1000CT Intel NIC's

Running PfSense, 32bit or 64bit, Monowall 32bit - I hit a brick wall of 10Mbit when connecting over PPPoE to my VDSL modem. I am not sure if it's WAN or LAN.

This happens on e1000, VMXNET1 and VMXNET2 Enhanced. It also happens when I use VT-D passthrough for the WAN interface.

2004943276.png

PfSense%20Slow%20WAN%20%281%29.jpg

Downloading a 1GB file from thinkbroadband gives 2198kBps (does this indicate 2MB a second? - if so it could mean my problem is LAN based...??)

vSwith configuration:

PfSense%20WAN%20Slow%20%282%29.jpg

I have tried:
- VT-D passthrough of the WAN NIC - same.
- vSwitch PPPoE - same.
- Monowall and PfSense 32/64bit - same.
- Setting auto negotiate OR forcing 100MB Full Duplex on the PPPoE vSwitch

Running out of ideas. I did try and set up Smoothwall SP3 yesterday but I couldn't get it to connect using PPPoE/DHCP hostname option 60 (which the freeBSD things do perfectly).

Help?!

Have you even tried a different NIC? Slap a known good NIC into that box and try binding that to the vSwitch.

I installed Open-VM-Tools-8.8 or whatever it is (In packages) and that boosted my nic speed up to gigabit

2nd the try a different nic idea. I use pfsense & esxi 5 and get full speed.

For me it does. My host is an old Rackable Systems box. Using a pair of Broadcom 5701's on board for LAN and WAN connections and a dual port Intel Pro 1000 PCI-E for LB iSCSI connection.

See images below.

Okay, so I reinstalled Pfsense and used the 'vmware-tools-8.8.1' package this time - now I get the '3rd party' tools installed message.

However, still stuck at 9mbit...

LOL LOL LOL LOL. Sorry, I would feel really stupid, but I'm glad you figured it out.

LOL LOL LOL LOL. Sorry, I would feel really stupid, but I'm glad you figured it out.

I blame everyone on not picking up on the 2MB/sec download speed in the first screenshot :p

and for me not testing it on my phone, bro's PC, mum's PC, laptop, work laptop and everything else in this damn house with an IP...

*bang*

*bang* (a second shot for buying a Killer NIC :D)

Why would you have your NIC hard set to 10mbps?

*bang*

*bang* (a second shot for buying a Killer NIC :D)

Why would you have your NIC hard set to 10mbps?

It's built on my mobo (G1 Sniper) :(

Killer NIC sets a 'max' ISP speed to optimize to it - not sure what it achieves but whatever.

as soon as you said 10MB and you tossed in another nic for gigabyet i figure you ad 100Mb nic installed or something..also forget the Killer nic, get a Intel nic :)

as soon as you said 10MB and you tossed in another nic for gigabyet i figure you ad 100Mb nic installed or something..also forget the Killer nic, get a Intel nic :)

get something high quality instead. Like realtek! (ducking for cover...)

Back