pfSense Error 128 LBA 207 - No /boot/kernel/kernel - can anyone help?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
pfSense Error 128 LBA 207 - No /boot/kernel/kernel - can anyone help?

I installed pfSense 1.2.2 on a Supermicro 1U server with IDE CDROM and SATA Hard Drive. Installation went okay except for when I selected "INSTALL GRUB" it couldn't do it.

Then, when I restart after the install, it gives me:

pfSense/i386 boot
Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
boot: error 128 LBA 0

That's about it. Anyone have any idea what it could be???

I was trying to Goog-it but no success.

UPDATE:

It works when I just run it from the CD, but I can't seem to install it.

It could be that the hard drive is SECONDARY MASTER in BIOS. But, it's a SATA drive and I don't think it can be set as PRIMARY MASTER in BIOS. I think that's why pfSense is acting up.

UPDATE:

Just an FYI... I've been playing around with the pfSense running from the CD and it's actually a pretty amazing firewall.

I'm mainly interested in the "Captive Portal" feature of it and it works like a charm. You can force users to accept the "Terms and Conditions" that you have set forth and they have to click "Agree".

You can also choose the company website that they must be forwarded to first, before they can go off onto their own website that they initially typed into their web browser.

Lots of other cool features and goodies... will keep you posted. If only I could install it onto the hardware :(

GRUB isn't the default bootloader for pfSense, have you tried without 'Use GRUB' checked in the installer? Which SuperMicro board are you using?

Also, forget about 1.2.2, it's ancient now and 1.2.3 is nearly ready for release. The RC's have been rock solid, have much better hardware compatibility, better performance and more features. There's really no reason to use 1.2.2 anymore.

GRUB isn't the default bootloader for pfSense, have you tried without 'Use GRUB' checked in the installer? .

Oh woah totally forgot about that. That is most likely the issue. Try reinstalling and don't touch the GRUB option. Use whatever is default.

Back