PF Usage bursts out of control

Starting this morning my OS seems out of control.

Every few minutes or so my PF Usage will shoot from 148MB to 1.08GB and hold steady for a few minutes. The Commit Charge will also shoot from 151M to 1024M. Understandably my PC is rendered unusable, but even after it is very sluggish.

Anyone have an idea why? Homecall, Norton, Spybot and AdAware show me as clean. No virus, no spyware. There's nothing new in my task bar, nothing new in my task manager, nothing new starting up. But every 10 minutes or so I lose control of my PC for the next 3 minutes.

CIDAEMON seems to eat a lot of memory during this, jumping to 34k. And when it comes down Word, if open, starts eating a lot of cycles (100% when typing, if I close out and go back in it's ok). Doesn't seem tied to any program, though, as it starts even if everything is closed.

Find out the application that's using all that by opening up task manager and adding the VM size column to the processes view. Sort by that column and tell us what's taking the memory.

Its an indexing service. When it's running, it allows faster searches. Note that that's FASTER searches. With it switched off, you can still search, but it just takes a bit longer. How often do you search? (By this I think it means search through files for a specific word rather than looking for a whole document.) Switch it to manual (if it's on Automatic) in Services.msc and see what happens.

It's disabled now.

Considering how wonderfully fast "fast searching" is (sarcasm) I hate to see what happens now. I search once a week, perhaps, infrequent enough that I can deal but frequent enough that I'm peeved.

Shouldn't cisvc.exe been killing cidaemon long before this happens? Any idea why it failed? Or is it working, only CIDAEMON is shooting from nothing to 945k too quickly for it to react? In that case, what could have happened overnight to do this.

The only thing I did in the time before it happened was go into the media library of Winamp, though I saw it needed me to enter files so I ignored it and closed out.

I considered it a typo... I don't have Cidaemon running here, so I don't know what typical values are for it.

Oh yeah, you'll need to Stop the service or reboot to see any effect (simply changing it's start up credentials won't change it if it's running at the moment).

ColinR said:
I considered it a typo... I don't have Cidaemon running here, so I don't know what typical values are for it.

Oh yeah, you'll need to Stop the service or reboot to see any effect (simply changing it's start up credentials won't change it if it's running at the moment).

So did I, until I noticed that it matched the line quoted earlier ("MEMUSGE 945K"). I was mainly wondering if it was a double accident or if he misread that and the real problem is something else.

Back