Petya ransomware cracked

Quartz-1

Supreme [H]ardness
BBC article here.

Security researcher Lawrence Abrams, from the Bleeping Computer news site, said the key generator could unlock a Petya-encrypted computer in seven seconds.

I am not very familiar with how Petya works, but if it just messes with the MBR could you not just use GRUB or repair/replace the MBR?

It's mostly via email attachments. I have my business domain hosted via Google Apps for Work. The other day I was going through my spam email folder and found at least ten emails all socially engineered with suspect attachments, I was shocked as I never check my spam folder and thought I was fairly immune from these sorts of scams, but at the same time I was impressed that Google automatically flags these emails as spam - Good job Google!

Luckily I don't run Windows on my work/main PC - so I'm fairly safe from these ransomware issues.

Gods honest truth how do people get these virus? Im online all the time and never get infected.

The last time I saw one of these crypto variants it was from a bogus PDF they got via email.

Chrome gmail does a half decent job filtering out spam and or dangerous emails i wonder? I honestly cant remember anyone sending me an attachment (aside from family photos) thru email. These crypto virus screw up all attached hard drives or just the drive it downloads to?

Back