Petitioning for 970 Refund

They could make the card only able to use 3.5GB, so yes they can do something.
Doing that would be admitting that their is a problem, not Nvidias strong suit

Agreed.
It would further open them up to claims of false advertising though so doesnt have a remote chance of happening.
And the card would be seen for what it is, almost...

It would actually be lesser specced but it would remove the stutter issue.
A tangled web NVidia.

If its on a public forum and not in a PM, its for "everyone" imho.

If it was in PM's, different story.

That is an interesting way to read forum posts. I will have to try it for awhile and see what happens when I behave as if everything you post is directed at me.

If its on a public forum and not in a PM, its for "everyone" imho.

If it was in PM's, different story.
I hope you are kidding. It is a public forum but it was a conversation between Peter and Goranmilis.

Just because someone that works at nVidia offers to help an individual doesn't imply that offer stands for everyone.
Given the first and last sentence of the first paragraph past Peter's introduction:
I totally get why so many people are upset.
I realize a lot of you guys rely on product reviews to make purchase decisions and we let you down.

Which of these "you"s are singular, referring only to Goranmilis, and which ones are plural referring to "so many people" and "a lot of you guys":
... the best card for the money you can buy. ...
... the whole experience might have turned you off to the card. ...
... If you don't want the card anymore, you should return it. ...
... If you have any problems getting that done, let me know and I'll do my best to help. ...

Also, why not PM Goranmilis instead of address the forum at large?

Given the first and last sentence of the first paragraph past Peter's introduction:
I totally get why so many people are upset.
I realize a lot of you guys rely on product reviews to make purchase decisions and we let you down.

Which of these "you"s are singular, referring only to Goranmilis, and which ones are plural referring to "so many people" and "a lot of you guys":
... the best card for the money you can buy. ...
... the whole experience might have turned you off to the card. ...
... If you don't want the card anymore, you should return it. ...
... If you have any problems getting that done, let me know and I'll do my best to help. ...

Also, why not PM Goranmilis instead of address the forum at large?
If that is your interpretation go for it. With a PM no one would know that Peter was supporting Goranmilis. The paragraph which he referred to "you guys" was a separate paragraph. The important part being "you guys". He did not refer to you guys in the paragraph which offered the support. He was talking to Goranmilis. So in a nut shell the paragraph which he actually referred to "you guys" and "so many people" was for a larger audience. The paragraph which he only referred to "you" was for Goranmilis. Why wouldn't he again say "you guys" in that paragraph? Bottom line is that this offer for help in this post was to help Goranmilis alone. You can interpretate it however you want but you will not convince me otherwise.

It sounds like this a non-issue anyway because of the subsequent conversations on the forum. What bothers me is the use of this screen shot which is not conclusive. I'm not an advocate of people not getting refunds. I believe people should get refunds if there are legitimate reasons for them. As I have outlined before I feel this will be a real challenge for nVidia and their partners.

Last edited:
Not the only post he mentioned helping people or how he was digging through "everyone's" pm's for help, the other posts are gone now. It was not to a single user these guys are right on how they read into it.

That is an interesting way to read forum posts. I will have to try it for awhile and see what happens when I behave as if everything you post is directed at me.

Way to take what I said and twist it into complete nonsense. :rolleyes:

What I say doesnt apply to everyone, but when a rep for a company says on a public forum, "Sure, we'll take back your card because you're unhappy with it after the tech specs came out", even if its just to one person they name, why wouldnt all the people seeing that post, who also want a refund, expect they can get it too?

I hope you are kidding. It is a public forum but it was a conversation between Peter and Goranmilis.

If he offered an exchange/refund for one person on a public forum, why shouldnt everyone else who also wants an exchange/refund expect to get one as well?

If he only meant to give it to that one person, it never should have been posted to a public forum and should have been sent in PM's.

You honestly wouldnt take it that way as someone wanting an exchange/refund? Seems plenty of people would since they are the ones saying he "backtracked" and acting all hurt over it.

Maybe thats why the posts were edited, because it was supposed to be for just one person and they realized he fucked up big time by making it public? Hmm..... ya think?

Nothing is going to come of this anyway. Even if a class action lawsuit went to trial, the lawyers will get rich and you and I wont get a thing out of it except maybe a coupon for a $20-50 discount on a future NV product.

Last edited:
I have been stress testing this card like crazy for the last couple of days. It handles everything I throw it with no stuttering. Games I'm playing include Far Car 4, Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (with Ultra HD texture pack), Battlefield 4, and Battlefield Hardline Beta. All these games I have been running at highest settings (ultra). I have been running the log on GPU=Z and it seems to most extent with games other than ME:SoM that the memory never goes above 3.5gb. I even jacked up Ambient Occlusion, AA, soft shadow, and Godrays settings of Far Cry 4 and the memory never got up over 3.5gb. I guess this makes sense given what Hard OCP's Far Cry 4 Graphics Features Performance article had in it (though a GTX 980 was used in that aricle).

I do get over the 3.5gb when using ultra settings with (with Ultra HD texture pack) in ME:SoM. I still get solid frame rates in this game with these setings and I'm not getting stuttering.

Are other people that are running a single card at 1440p or lower resolutions having any issues and in what circumstances?

I'm with you on that. I had a 970 and had about the same results. Mine was an open box Asus Strix that I think the last owner overclocked to much. It ran great in Far Cry 4 but started to get empty polygons and other distortions. I might buy a replacement or wait to see what AMD is going to release with their 380x cards. The 290x sounds like a good deal but AMD cards run so hot and are over a year old already. I'm going to wait and see and just stick with my 670 in SLI for now. I had the 970 running at 1440p and for the money a good card.

I would think it's hard to get over 3.5GB and not destroy the performance without SLI. Single card users are likely not overly affected IMO. I still have issues with how nVidia handled it.

Even on a single card, try DSR if you haven't though. 1.25xDSR + 2xMSAA (what I use in FC4) looks better and plays smoother than 4xMSAA for me. Might be harder at 1440p on new titles.

If that is your interpretation go for it. With a PM no one would know that Peter was supporting Goranmilis.

Yeah because Goranmilis couldnt just relay that info to the forum like we see users doing with company reps all the freaking time...

Flat out "No". So your saying that not even a Driver or Firmware update would help out even some? Care to explain? Do you work for Nvidia?, I didn't think so.

Nvidia could possibly do something but according to this information that went around quite a while back doesn't look like they have any plans to do so.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2876...r-update-for-memory-performance-concerns.html

They could always have a change of heart but being Nvidia, they don't have to and probably won't.

Well I was going to upload a video of me playing Mordor with over 3.8GB VRAM and showing how smooth it is, but I found another video instead that mirrors my experience with using more than 3.6-4gb VRAM on a 970. AC Unity uses this much or more Vram and is also this smooth as well as Dying Light.

FWIIW I played Mordor at 1440p, maxed with the Ultra textures and used over 4GB Vram at all times. This is also about the same experience of others I have spoken with that own 970s. The only people having issues are sli users and it isn't stutter but a gaming chrashing issue with the SLI voltage bug.

This problem has manifested itself through group think/forum warriors and knee jerk reactions. And I pity those who are selling their 970s for 980s-- do you not see the issue here? Anyway Nvidia should offer a discount to those early 970 users (because they lied about the specs, period), and their future products will def be looked at through a microscopic lens, but lets not act like these issues are actually effecting performance in game..

http://youtu.be/xbmKik7KPqw

Last edited:
It's pretty much a done deal thst I'll be returning my 970 after reading crap today on another forum Showing problems running the newest crop of Games at 1080 and the issue showing up.

Really sucks cause I came from quad 7970s and I hated it.. driver issues so bad in crossfire I had to stick with the first release drivers the whole time and I could not use the 4th card. It effected me so much that I lost all interest and faith in pc gaming and sold it all off and went with console gaming insted.

Let me mention that I've been building my own pcs and gsmi g since 94! Been threw it all and always managed to stay on top.

Recently around the holidays I get the itch (as I always do in the winter) to build a new budget gaming rig and look what I run into when I choose to go back to nvidia?? A gimp card and nvidia won't own up to it!!!

Nuts At how they are not responding to everyone.

Now I can't swear off not buying a 980 cause I don't have anything else as a spare but I might just grab a 290/290x within a week to get me threw till they come out with thete next card and give nvidia the finger.

As someone mention before.. come on back 3dfx!! If there ever was a good time to say we're back, I can't think of a better time. Show them how it's done!

Last edited:
It's like really? I've been doing nothing but reading these threads about the 970 on a bunch of forums since it all broke and I was expecting nvidia to do something by now. Say something like opps! My bad and we're offering everyone a discount on the 980 since it didn't have its balls cut off.. sorry!

Nope, just nothing.. like oh shut it were all that and we're unstoppable and this will blow over and too freaking stinking bad! Thanks for the money!

It's pretty much a done deal thst I'll be returning my 970 after reading crap today on another forum Showing problems running the newest crop of Games at 1080 and the issue showing up.
Can you provide links or tell me what forums? Were they running single cards? I have been on other forums and not seen this. I have been asking people here to step forward that are having issues with single cards and running at 1440p (and under) as well. Can you give me specifics on what problems you are having with your GTX 970? I'm trying to duplicate on my setup.

While it's taking longer then I'd hoped, I made some progress with Newegg. They have submitted a ticket to their internal helpdesk. :)

Really sucks cause I came from quad 7970s and I hated it.. driver issues so bad in crossfire I had to stick with the first release drivers the whole time and I could not use the 4th card. It effected me so much that I lost all interest and faith in pc gaming and sold it all off and went with console gaming insted.

Let me mention that I've been building my own pcs and gsmi g since 94! Been threw it all and always managed to stay on top.

Recently around the holidays I get the itch (as I always do in the winter) to build a new budget gaming rig and look what I run into when I choose to go back to nvidia?? A gimp card and nvidia won't own up to it!!!

Nuts At how they are not responding to everyone.

Now I can't swear off not buying a 980 cause I don't have anything else as a spare but I might just grab a 290/290x within a week to get me threw till they come out with thete next card and give nvidia the finger.

As someone mention before.. come on back 3dfx!! If there ever was a good time to say we're back, I can't think of a better time. Show them how it's done!

What forum were you referring to showing issues with e a 970? r/Xbox One?
The 970 has ZERO issues at 1440p/1080p in ANY game on the market.

HTML:
NVIDIA should get Brian Williams to be their new spokesperson.

Brilliant!!

if you're going to replace the 970 make sure something better replaces it...no real point getting the 290x when the 380x is right around the corner which is said to offer substantial performance gains...no point getting a 980 because of the extra .5GB VRAM for $200 more...wait for the 6-8GB Nvidia cards for a real upgrade...otherwise keep the 970

if you're going to replace the 970 make sure something better replaces it...no real point getting the 290x when the 380x is right around the corner which is said to offer substantial performance gains...no point getting a 980 because of the extra .5GB VRAM for $200 more...wait for the 6-8GB Nvidia cards for a real upgrade...otherwise keep the 970

I wish I could wait.. built a budget gaming rig to play my steam library of 200+ games and bf4. Wanted to be solid for a year or 2 without issue or want. Well a crippled card is not how I wanted to start off.. with the tread of newer games loving more ram and most games being ports from the consoles using more ram, it just makes me feel like there's no doubt there will be issues before the years up. Thought I'd be fine with just using 1080 rez but I might just be kidding myself.

Yeah im not too crazy thinking about exchanging this for a 290/290x but if the price is cheap enough I can feel better running that for a year and then upgrade to the newer cards as then the issues will hopefully be worked out and the prices leveled off.

Sucks cause my 970 is runing cool at 55 on load playing bf4 Overclocked to 1550 with max voltage. I tried a 290 for a week before this card and it was crazy hot at 77c! Was smooth but I could not handle that heat after years on water cooling my cards around 43c. Heh.

There's another thread were a guy was showing video between a 670 and 970 were he showed how the 670 was using most of the 4gb ram while the 970 seemed capped at 3.5gb.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-4gb-when-using-more-than-3-5gb-vram-in-som-/.
Yea, I saw that post. I just responded to it. I do not have that issue at all. I'm not clear on what is up with Enjjo's system but I do not have that issue at all with mine. I'm working on some video. Do you have issues yourself and with what games?

He is using dsr to put more load on the 970 try that yourself to see what happens. He was doing framtime graphing and the 670 has less variance. If you search you can answer your own questions about the issues people are running into on single cards. german sites with google translate seem to have done the best testing out of everyone.
Our own goldentiger covered sli great imo

There's another thread were a guy was showing video between a 670 and 970 were he showed how the 670 was using most of the 4gb ram while the 970 seemed capped at 3.5gb.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...-4gb-when-using-more-than-3-5gb-vram-in-som-/

It's called better memory compression. One of the major features of the 900 series.

HardOCP Far Cry 4 Graphics Features Performance Review said:
We cannot explain why, across the board, the AMD Radeon R9 290X video card is filling more of its VRAM at every setting compared to the GeForce GTX 980, but likely due to compression being done more efficiently. If you recall compression efficiency is one that that was touted at the GTX 980 launch.

"The memory subsystem has also been significantly revamped. GTX 980’s memory clock is over 15% higher than GTX 680, and GM204’s cache is larger and more efficient than Kepler’s design, reducing the number of memory requests that have to be made to DRAM. Improvements in our implementation of memory compression provide a further benefit in reducing DRAM traffic effectively amplifying the raw DRAM bandwidth in the system."

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/01/12/far_cry_4_graphics_features_performance_review/8

People are still talking about that? Haven't we already established that some programs don't report VRAM usage accurately?

If the 970 is capped at 3.5 GB then how could people be simultaneously reporting performance problems above 3.5 GB usage?

It's called better memory compression. One of the major features of the 900 series.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/01/12/far_cry_4_graphics_features_performance_review/8

Then why does the GTX980 consistently use more of its ram than the GTX970 in the same situations?
Care to explain that?
Fact is the results are in, the GTX970 causes stutter above 3.5GB.
I trust Golden Tiger, the Germans, and the many many users that are speaking out about it now. I trust that mass returns in Europe were not some random freak occurrence.

If the 970 is capped at 3.5 GB then how could people be simultaneously reporting performance problems above 3.5 GB usage?

Yeah that wasn't very clear. It sounded like some apps are limited, and some can attempt to use the full 4. It sounds like it doesn't use it until last resort, somehow. Like if the active working set is over 3.5GB, otherwise it's not even used for caching purposes. Just my best guess.

I think it's based off what drivers people use. Some are still using the 344.xx series for stability. Some in that series crashed less but they are old enough that they don't deal with the memory partitioning like the current WHQL drivers. IIRC I had stuttering using DSR in Shadows of Mordor when I was playing it and testing out DSR and ultra textures with a single 970. I think I was on the 344.16 drivers at the time. I attributed the stuttering mainly to using ultra textures (recommended 6GB) with a 4GB card and it swapping from system memory to VRAM. I tried it recently again with the newest drivers and I didn't notice stuttering, but I noticed I was only hitting about 3600-3700MB with these newest drivers. I don't remember my exact memory usage with the old drivers I was using at the time of the GTX970 release, but I do remember it hitting over 3800 at some point when I noticed some stuttering, that's why at the time I was thinking, it was trying to load some large textures into the 200mb spot from system memory and causing the stuttering.

I think it's based off what drivers people use. Some are still using the 344.xx series for stability. Some in that series crashed less but they are old enough that they don't deal with the memory partitioning like the current WHQL drivers. IIRC I had stuttering using DSR in Shadows of Mordor when I was playing it and testing out DSR and ultra textures with a single 970. I think I was on the 344.16 drivers at the time. I attributed the stuttering mainly to using ultra textures (recommended 6GB) with a 4GB card and it swapping from system memory to VRAM. I tried it recently again with the newest drivers and I didn't notice stuttering, but I noticed I was only hitting about 3600-3700MB with these newest drivers. I don't remember my exact memory usage with the old drivers I was using at the time of the GTX970 release, but I do remember it hitting over 3800 at some point when I noticed some stuttering, that's why at the time I was thinking, it was trying to load some large textures into the 200mb spot from system memory and causing the stuttering.

Never thought I'd see the day when NVIDIA drivers were more horrid than Catalyst. ;)

Well, I'm pissed now. So I've been having some issues with these cards... Originally I had my vsync set to "Adaptive" but changed it to "On (Smooth)" and decided to start playing Battlefield 3 as I had just finished Battlefield 4. Unfortunately, crashing galore. I troubleshot it and found that I was experiencing the SLI voltage discrepancy issue and tried tweaking my MSI Afterburner settings. I was able to get my OC back with both cards at 1.2500v but they still were crashing in BF3. I then tried Unigine Valley and more crashing! Like what the hell... so I played around with modifying the BIOS to force constant voltage which worked but I still had crashing. Tested the cards individually and I noticed that the one with Hynix VRAM exhibits artifacting at STOCK settings within 1 minute. Switching to "Adaptive" VSYNC", I was able to set the memory to +350 like I had originally so I guess stability testing should be performed with VSYNC set to "Off" for accurate results. What a disappointing card though. When I tested my other one with Samsung VRAM and VSYNC off I didn't notice any artifacting for 15 minutes at +500 to memory. Just got finished chatting with Newegg, hopefully I can get both returned for store credit. Have to wait 3-7 business days though -.-

In other words, FS: 2x EK 970 WF3 Nickel/Acetal Waterblocks with Backplates

Not true, it's fairly common for SLI users unless their card ASICs are similar.

I have a 74% and 66% card, even at stock one card uses 50mV more than the other.

Well except for the UK I think we're screwed here in the US. Thanks Nvidia. Makes me want to go Red next card.

It rarely exists for people running cards at stock, while it can easily happen to people tho are overclocking.

I think he was being sarcastic :)

What a shit show. If Newegg doesn't take them back I'll have to RMA the Hynix one. Not sure what I should do afterwards. Hopefully they refund me so I can sit on it and wait for the 380X/390X. If not, might be worth it to just stick with the dual 970s after the RMA. If I'm lucky I may get a Samsung back that OCs well but I'm not that optimistic.

It's unfortunate that the only other alternative is the 980 or outdated 290X :/

Back