Personal Jetpack Test Flight

Wonder what the flight time is on this one. Until it's over 30 minutes I don't see it as much more then a toy. A cool toy lol... I know the ones the airforce were messing with way back when only lasted like 60 seconds or so.

Wonder what the flight time is on this one. Until it's over 30 minutes I don't see it as much more then a toy. A cool toy lol... I know the ones the airforce were messing with way back when only lasted like 60 seconds or so.

I was thinking the same thing. He got a good 3 mins. Bump that to something like 10 mins and it'd be somewhat useful in a heavy populated city. It's speed would also play into it's usefulness. I wouldn't want to be moving at like 5 mph, if I have 10 miles to cover.

It looked like he was booking along pretty well there a few times. Those jet skis had to open up to catch him. And I'm pretty sure he wasn't going flat out, not for a test flight.

Pure awesome!

It doesn't look super quick in the video. Like a calm like 20-30 mph. They say it can go 100+ mph, but I don't know how safe that would be getting into the higher speeds. I wonder how much aerodynamics come into play or how you maneuver. I don't think anyone has tested it that far either, since they say it can reach 10,000 ft altitude also.

Jet engines with highly combustible fuel strapped to my back.. hmm no thanks.

No worse than motorcycles with combustible fuel between your legs. Course if the engine stalls, you can just pull to the side of the road. None of that, falling out of the sky, kind of things.

No worse than motorcycles with combustible fuel between your legs. Course if the engine stalls, you can just pull to the side of the road. None of that, falling out of the sky, kind of things.
Their system needs some redundancy and probably a computerized safety auto-landing system. At least 4 smaller jets instead of the 2 large jets.

Their system needs some redundancy and probably a computerized safety auto-landing system. At least 4 smaller jets instead of the 2 large jets.
Or a simple and light parachute that deploys upon engine stalling.

how long does it last?
what if you could use this engine, and put it on something like a helicopter (just the chairs and glass structure). you could have something that moves like an ufo quick and very manuverable...

Very cool. I like.

Safety backup: airbags which deploy around the user in a soccer ball formation, a la the Mars Lander. The benefit is it'll not only keep you safe, but it'll keep bouncing you towards your destination.

Haha! I've been thinking about a system like this ever since i saw some really small turbine engines (several years ago). Figures someone with the money to actually develop such a thing had the same idea! lol.

As impractical as this type of stuff is, I'd rather use the jets w/wing packs that westrock2000 posted. Yeah, you can't take off from your back porch, but that's never going to be a reality anyway. The ones where you actually fly rather than hover look waaaay more fun, if not slightly more deadly but oh well.

I suppose we're about due for one of these hover style jetpack to show up at a super bowl again though, if we ever have another one not under a closed dome. That seems to be their only use, although now they could fly in a bit faster and fly back out to the parking lot! 50 years of progress right there.

Back