Personal firewall comparison test results

Those are some interesting results, makes me think twice about ESS.

Darn no trend and no avast...my personal picks :p

Ya, ESS is not a very good firewall...I have heard that from a lot of places and tests.

It is pretty common though, a lot of these AV companies just put in a cheap firewall that they do not spend a ton of time on.

The Matousec test focuses only on the firewall itself...their approach assumes malware can take over the firewall and drop it. However...they don't factor in that the antivirus protection would stop the malware....and the antivirus component of ESS would indeed do so..since it's very strong and proactive in malware prevention.

Long thread about it here...
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=203689
Important point..."We have optimized the engine for detection of malware that exploits the weaknesses used in leak tests. The thing is the firewall itself doesn't check files for malware, there are other scanners that do that and thus the whole suite protects you perfectly."

I never really put much value on "leak tests" anyways.

No default Windows Firewall? Or is that what OneCare is?

No Blackice :(, I used to use it, would be curious how good it is/was.

I still wish Sygate was around :(

You can still find it, the "old" versions still work great.

Unlike AV systems, firewalls do not need definition updates as long as they work good to start!

Unlike AV systems, firewalls do not need definition updates as long as they work good to start!

IMO "program updates" are critical for software firewalls. There have been exploits released...that target and have knocked out..some of the more popular software firewalls. They were able to disable the service. This is not an opinion..it's a fact..quite a few have been released..and in the past I've come across computers that had their software firewall disabled..and were infected with some of the malware that did such a thing.

That's a component of the above mentioned leak test.

Program updates were released by the software firewall manufacturers to fix these vulnerabilities.

Which is one of the reasons Comodo is good...it's new...it's frequently updated...and also happens to do well in tests.

True, I neglected that fact. But still sygate scores high in all the tests, it was a very good firewall ;)

True, I neglected that fact. But still sygate scores high in all the tests, it was a very good firewall ;)

It was...fairly light too. Too bad symantsuck sucked them up and killed it.

Tiny was another good one back in the early days of broadband. I forget who killed them..I think ComputerAssociates sucked them up.

Back