Permission/ownership file issues; cannot delete files

killazys

n00b
Often, I will get an error like this when trying to uninstall a program: http://puu.sh/uaCQ

When I attempt to manually delete such a file, Windows will tell me I "need permission from an administrator," even though I'm logged in as the administrator (net user administrator).

The only way to delete said files is to shift+delete, and wait around five minutes real-time for the file to finally delete. If I attempt to right-click --> properties on the file during the timeframe, I'll get a properties window that tells me the filesize is whatever the filesize is, but that the "Size on disk" is ridiculously small, like a few 100 bytes.

This doesn't just happen upon uninstall; often, I can't overwrite files or delete them even when no other program is using them. This occurs across all drives, not just my root SSD drive.

I'm running Windows 7 x64. Any ideas?

Boot from something else like a USB stick and get rid of it, Safe mode ?

You can try opening a command prompt with adminstrator rights, then close explorer through the task manager, and then delete the file in the command prompt before restarting explorer. I've had to do that a few times for files that were "in use" all the time, even after reboots.

Thanks for the input, but... I'm looking for a solution to the issue of files not being deleted properly, rather than how to delete any one file.

Is this something that's probably only solvable with a fresh install? sfc /scannow did not alleviate the issue.

Things to try before going the wipe and reinstall route.

1. "run as administrator" the command prompt and run "chkdsk c: /f". restart the computer and let it do the chkdsk.

2. Disable indexing - indexing has a horrid tendency to screw up and can cause all sorts of strange problems. Open up computer and right click on your drive and select properties. Uncheck the "Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed in addition to file properties", hit apply and let it do it's thing. A few files/folders will pop up error messages about needing permission.. just click "ignore" for thos.

3. Clear out the C:\windows\temp folder and then restart.

4. Disable the swap file, reboot, and then re-enable it.. the swap file can get corrupted and cause dtrange issues.

Things to try before going the wipe and reinstall route.
-snip-

Thanks for the suggestions. Ran chkdsk /f a while back; didn't solve the issue. Disabling indexing right now.

When you say swap, you do mean pagefile, right? Does it matter that my pagefile isn't stored on my system disk?

Depending on where the file reside the issue is one of the following:

If its a system protected file....aka resides in C:\windows or C:\program files and any other system protected area.. Administrative permissions are not enough.

So to start, use elevated administrator Windows explorer.

Right Click on Windows Explorer and choose run as Administrator.....the window that opens is an elevated Administrator and can do things in the protected areas of the OS that you normally can not.

But wait there is more....

Some files are locked by the system, so that not even an elevated Admin can get to them.

There's a way around that too. Turn off UAC.

Turn off UAC, Log off, Log back on.

Run Windows Explorer as an elevated admin..... you should be able to delete windows *.* if you wanted now.

Keep in mind that you have almost zero protection against any installers while UAC turned off. If a application wanted to install in this mode No prompt are forced or required.

Enjoy,

Mackintire

It's been a while, but the problems are still occurring.

I'm getting random access is denied errors in programs and the same delete errors.

Back