Permission denied - Networking Computers

bloodeagle

Limp Gawd
Hey,

I'm trying to add a computer to my network to use it as a Print Server/File server. However, one computer can't seem to access it. Whenever I try to view the server, it says I do not have permission. I was wondering how I can go about changing them?

Thanks!

[H]exx said:
If he had gotten an error such as "Can not find server" or "path" then yes, I would say firewall.

Yep. But more likely "Connection Refused" or something like that.

[H]exx said:
Usually with a firewall though, it will not say permission denied...permission denied tells us that the server was able to communicate and validate that he does not have permissions -- so the firewall isn't the issue.

If he had gotten an error such as "Can not find server" or "path" then yes, I would say firewall.

Yup...or "network path not found"

It would never get to the point of the challenge, token pass, accept or deny of refuse or anything like that. Nothing would be contacted to say accept or refuse.

[H]exx said:
Usually with a firewall though, it will not say permission denied...permission denied tells us that the server was able to communicate and validate that he does not have permissions -- so the firewall isn't the issue.

Not quite true. Simple test which I just validated on my own XP Pro network at home, enabled Windows Firewall, tried to get on shared resource, permission denied, please contact your admin to resolve yadi yadi bs. So, what you say can be shown to be not quite correct.

Well, on the "server" computer, in My Network Places, I can see the other computer I want to connect to, and I can access the shared folders. However, it doesnt work vise versa. However, when I go to look at the server from the this computer by going to "view workgroup computers" I can see the server there. When I click it, I get this error:

"\\Server is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network path was not found."

At the moment, I have no firewall on the server, and only Norton Firewall on this computer, but I have that computer unblocked through the firewall ( I have also tried turning it off, and it didn't fix it). I will try to troubleshoot using that website provided a little later if needed.

I have found this to be the most efficient way to set up share permissions in a workgroup lan:

If you can, turn off simple file sharing. If you can't(XP Home) then remove the "everyone group" from the permissions on any shares. On any share limit the allowed groups/users/ to admins and the "users" group. As long as the "users" group is present on the share, you can add a user account to the host computer(the one with the share) for any client computer(computer wishing to access the share). Use the same login and pword for the account that you use to log into the client machine. This automatically adds the user account to the "users" group. Since the users group is allowed to use the share, the client should now have transparent access to the share. This way you only need to add a user account on the host for any client wishing share access. Now ONLY the user accounts you entered on the host have access to your shares.

If you have simple file sharing turned off, just be aware share permissions can be set at the sharing tab AND the security tab. Remember the more prohibitive permissions win out. If the NTFS permissions allow everyone, but the share permissions only allow admins, then only admins will be allowed to use the share. I find it best to make sure the permissions are the same for both share and ntfs.

You can only turn off simple file sharing if you have XP PRO. XpHome your stuck with it, but you can remove the "eveyone" group and add users or groups to the share.

Back