Periodic Loud *CLICK* from HDD?

buginajar

n00b
Joined
Nov 10, 2005
Messages
16
Recently I have been noticing that one of my two hard drives will make a loud *CLICK* noise.

This is louder than a normal seeking noise of the hard drive. Does this mean my drive is about to fail? If so, how would I go about determining which of the two hard drives it is?

HDD 1
Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000 RPM

HDD 2
Western Digital Caviar 250GB 16mb 7,200 RPM

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
 
I've got a Deskstar 120GXP that's been doing this since 2002.....no idea if it means failure is imminent but mine still plugs along. I just stuff some of my MythTV recordings on it anyway.

Mine almost sounds like the noise it makes when it starts up. Does yours sound like that?
 
My $.02

I work for IT for the NY state court system.
Just swapped out a HDD in one of our Dell boxes that clicked pretty constantly when powered on. Now this device would not boot into windows and was obviously shot. Worse yet I could not connect it as a slave to get sensitive data from it.

It is usually caused by the heads not functioning properly and your best bet is to have a feel on the covered part of the drive for the clicking (if it occurs often enough to know when its coming).

I won't say it is going to fail tomorrow but I would not use that drive for important info any more.
 
I have two WD caviars that do that. One is currently in use in my server, and the other is just laying around. They have done this for a few years now. In my case the sound is random. Most of the time it may do it once in the middle of the night.
 
Thanks for all your guys help. I didn't recognize any of those sounds from the hitachi website.
 
i noticeed those clicks too... if you have alot of fragmented data on the drive it usually happens - also if the head is worn out it can make it too. Run a drive health check app and see if there's problems somewhere, also run a defrag.
 
Back
Top