Periodic Disconnects From Internet

triarii3

Gawd
I have Comcast as ISP. Using Motorola Surf Board SB6121 as modem. And have a WD N750 as my router.

Ever since I moved into the house I had this setup. My internet connectivity goes down about once every 5 to 6 hours. All of my devices would still be connected to the router but receives no internet connectivity. I have to restart the modem and the router

The time in between each connectivity issue sometimes is longer, sometimes is shorter. I called comcast to check the issue, the technician said nothing was wrong but he can try to boost the signal, which didn't resolve the issue. Then I turn to the router website and see if anyone else had this issue as well. I updated the firmware and turned off the dual band as well. This problem persists....so now i'm turning to you guys...anything ..any spark of ideas would be great! thanks

I have Comcast as ISP. Using Motorola Surf Board SB6121 as modem. And have a WD N750 as my router.

Ever since I moved into the house I had this setup. My internet connectivity goes down about once every 5 to 6 hours. All of my devices would still be connected to the router but receives no internet connectivity. I have to restart the modem and the router

The time in between each connectivity issue sometimes is longer, sometimes is shorter. I called comcast to check the issue, the technician said nothing was wrong but he can try to boost the signal, which didn't resolve the issue. Then I turn to the router website and see if anyone else had this issue as well. I updated the firmware and turned off the dual band as well. This problem persists....so now i'm turning to you guys...anything ..any spark of ideas would be great! thanks

Does rebooting the devices reliably restore connectivity?

If so, try rebooting just the router and if connectivity isn't restored in 5 minutes, reboot the modem and try again.

It's likely it's one device or the other.

It sounds to me like you're getting short-term DHCP of about 6 hours, and when the IP address gets released, the renewal is failing to happen:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/releasing-and-renewing-ip-address/

The newest firmware for the WNDR4000 is 1.0.2.2, is that what you updated to? Did you follow the installation directions exactly?

Here's an interesting thread where users describe your problem and suggest rolling back to 1.0.0.66, though that was posted a year before Netgear released 1.0.2.2.

Does rebooting the devices reliably restore connectivity?

If so, try rebooting just the router and if connectivity isn't restored in 5 minutes, reboot the modem and try again.

It's likely it's one device or the other.

That's a good idea i'm going to try that. I always restart both. I guess it's good to isolate the variables and identify the real culprit!

It sounds to me like you're getting short-term DHCP of about 6 hours, and when the IP address gets released, the renewal is failing to happen:

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/releasing-and-renewing-ip-address/

The newest firmware for the WNDR4000 is 1.0.2.2, is that what you updated to? Did you follow the installation directions exactly?

Here's an interesting thread where users describe your problem and suggest rolling back to 1.0.0.66, though that was posted a year before Netgear released 1.0.2.2.

wow really useful links here. Thanks so much. Let me investigate and get back to you guys

Back