Perhaps a stupid questions

bigstusexy

2[H]4U
I have a question that could be good could be stupid

Ever go to print and click the nice print to file button? Created a .prn file right?
Just what the heck to you do with it after that?

I know of no application that actually prints or reads this file, using the suggestion program page that is in xp (don't need xp if you know the url) it give me this

http://shell.windows.com/fileassoc/0409/xml/redir.asp?Ext=prn

Which says.... I don't konw.

So before I go searching just what do you do with it what programs do you throw it in afterwards?

You printed to a file instead of printing to an actual printer. All you had to do was follow the link you yourself posted. There's another link on the page that will describe exactly what it is.

Actually, a number of print renderers can use that file. You can also send that file directly to the printer using MS-DOS.

If you use a Postscript print driver, you can print to a PRN, then have Adobe Distiller convert that file into a PDF. Usually, if you install Adobe Distiller, Distiller shows up as a separate printer, so you can print directly to PDF. However, if people don't have a Distiller license, they can still print to PRN, and have someone else who does have Distiller generate the PDF for them.

Thanks pbj75 although I started with dos I'm not a master of it, infact I've never printed from just dos. I'm supprised that there is not windows command to right click the file and print it, that way a pint box would show up show the comatable printers. Still couldn't send it to the printer but at least I've gained something.

I just never understod why this was there, when i searched it tooke me to the same place I believe as the link but I can't see all pages correctly from work because of the filter. Heck even Hardcop.com doesn't render right or refresh the cache properly!
vbmenu_register("postmenu_1027059025", true);

You used to be able to do things like

copy test.prn > lpt1:

And as long as the prn file was compatible with the printer, you were set. Of course, sooner or later you would send a postscript file to a PCL printer, and out would come page after page of raw postscript commands. :)

Back