Perhaps a silly question but combining 2.1 with 5.1?

I have a set of logitech z5500s and also z2300s and was wondering if i could somehow mix them together for some sort of hybrid 7.1/7.2(highly unlikely right?) any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Well, 5+2 = 7, and running two subwoofers is a common(ish) trick in high end setups. So I see no reason why not. Hooking it up could be amusing.

/lollogitech

But yeah, the redundant subs should help a little with their low quality. When the horse isn't strong enough alone, have it share the load...

that's funny, I was thinking about the same thing this morning. I suppose you could put a splitter coming off of the sound card, it wouldn't be 7.2, but more like 5.2 with two front lefts and rights.

You could do that too, but a straight-up splitter would create two parallel loops. This is a Bad Thing. You could compensate somewhat by balancing the channels, but the signal quality would be degraded.

BTW the subwoofer trick does the same thing since you're unlikely to have the ability to do it "right" but is less of an issue since the sound reproduction quality on what Logitech thinks passes for a subwoofer is poor to begin with.

so it's do-able but requires the right sort of software? i'm not looking for the height of audio-fidelity, rather combining these two products to get something a bit better. i'll have to research this more methinks

Software, no. This is an electrical issue. It does require support for 7.1 from your sound card to get the signal out of the box in the first place, but that's fairly common now.

Oh, and use the z2300 sats for the side speakers in a 7.1 layout. Less chance of issues if they're meaningfully different sonically.

i should fancy the audigy 2 should suffice? does that mean independent control between the two setups still however? cheers for the last tip btw

I know some models will, I don't know that all will. You're going to have to check your manuals for how to do 7.1 hookup anyway, so...

Independent control? Well, they both still have their own volume knobs. I would find a good balanced setting and then do it in software thereafter - the software controls won't know that you stole sats from two systems and are feeding into two different amplifiers / controllers.

A lot of Logitech's stuff uses a layout where the subwoofer houses the amplifier & the sats are connected to that. If so you will have a hard time using the second sub, and you may want to just turn its volume to nil to avoid Weird Stuff.

Back