Performance: X1800XT Crossfire vs. nVidia 7800GTX SLI

I think the big question is the AT article should have stayed off the frontpage until they could release benches. The article itself makes the website look bad in my eyes. I mean are we talking the ATI version wins at 1600x1200 which is still a rarity these days and higher? I take it ATI bests Nvidia at higher resolutions and not significantly so. I mean compare a single ati card to one nvidia card benchmark wise and do the math. Yes the XT is slightly faster in things but it has so much over the 7800GTX 256mb version it isn't even funny. I was hoping ATI would have come out with something to make me wait to upgrade to compare the two but they didn't and the XT and XL came out right after I upgraded which was 10/31 the purchase date to be exact so these cards are brand new and almost a generation newer than the 7800 from what I read. They don't perform drastically better and the lower versions below the XT are horrible compared to the 6 or 7 series cards out now with the exception being the overclocked XL. I took one look at all this information and purchased two 7800GTX's. The availability was there for the few as well but if they had as much demand as the 512mb gtx we would probably see they only shipped like 100 cards XT wise. I look at my 2 512mb from evga through step up and actualy restocking dates on websites out of stock of them now and wonder if ATI intended on shipping alot of these cards or not? That doesn't give me much confidence in buying their higher end products. I absolutely love their AIW line Nvidia could really take a lesson from them in this department and perhaps one up them with something more feature rich to bring down the prices on these :p.

ATI makes a ton of integrated chipsets and has plenty of motherboard experience Nvidia compared to ATI is a newer company that has been expanding. I expect more from ATI but I didn't see it this year really. That's my take on this and the ATI statement is marketing we are used to that. I don't fathom why they would put it against the slower card though.

could be two things, they know that the benchies put the SLIed 7800 GTXs ontop.. or they want us to think that, so when they do allow the benchies released.. they can blow us away with a complete victory over nVidia.. (yeah right...)

kirbyrj said:
What's $70-150 when you're already spending $599 :rolleyes: . If you're going to spend $600, you might as well spend the extra $100-150 and get a much better card.

Sorry, but no. That doesnt make any sense. If you're going to buy a 20k car, might as well spend 25k. And on and on. As you can see, this "logic" doesnt add up. Not to mention the XT is in stock at actbuy.com for $560. Which makes it a $190 difference from neweggs price.

"Much better" is your opinion, not fact. And it should be better, since it costs so much more.

I look forward to seeing actual performance with retail equipment......

Back