Performance on new Macbook Pros with games under Windows?

Alex T.

n00b
I'm looking for feedback from anyone that owns the newer Macbook Pros with the 8600 GPU.

If you're playing games on it under Windows, what kind of experience are you getting?

I'm thinking about picking up one of these maybe today.

I have the 17" with high resolution screen. I was playing HL2 last night, everything ran soooo smooth. It even amazed me. I had it set to 1920x1200 resolution, everything on high.

I think these new MBP's are comparable to the Dell XPS in terms of performance.

Guy in my CSS Guild just bought a 15" MBP after looking at alot of laptops... and he's the farthest from an Apple fan you can find.

He got the 2.4ghz model, upgraded the HD to a 7200rpm Hitachi Travelstar and installed Vista.

With the 8600gt, he scored a 3DMark05 of 8556, 3Dmark06: 4607 and an Aquamark3 trimark score of 99,398.

The HL2 Stress Test at 1440x900 turned in an average fps of 205.

Although I don't have the newer MBPs, my 2.0Ghz Core Duo with 1.5gigs of ram work just fine. BF2 and Supreme Commander are the only games I really play and they both run extremely well. Occasionally though there are little problems here and there with the drivers and I'll get some sort of weird crash or error, but other than that it's great.

Warcraft 3 and CS:S run wonderfully on my 2.2 ghz MBP.

Everything all the way up, AA at 4x, I'm not having any problems or frame droppage/etc/etc at all. Perfectly 100% smooth.

I'm so happy with it :)

edit: first Mac too :)

Warcraft 3 and CS:S run wonderfully on my 2.2 ghz MBP.

Everything all the way up, AA at 4x, I'm not having any problems or frame droppage/etc/etc at all. Perfectly 100% smooth.

I'm so happy with it :)

edit: first Mac too :)

You are running warcraft3 in OSX, right? If not (or you didn't know it could), it can run natively inside OSX :)

So I ended up picking this up the other day:

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1440 x 900 resolution
2GB memory
160GB hard drive1
8x double-layer SuperDrive
NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM

I am going to install bootcamp but wanted to know if someone has tried installing Windows on an external drive?

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1440 x 900 resolution
2GB memory
160GB hard drive1

I am going to install bootcamp but wanted to know if someone has tried installing Windows on an external drive?

Gratz. I have run OSX on a firewire drive before, really not sure how windows would go though, I thought the bootcamp installer only lets you format the OSX drive (split it) for windows, I could be wrong though.

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
1440 x 900 resolution
2GB memory
160GB hard drive1

You can install Windows XP on an external USB drive. The only difference from running it on an internal drive is there's no Virtual Memory.

Back