• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Performance hit

shadowbreaker513

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 15, 2005
Messages
1,410
I ordered some new RAM for my computer to replace the crap that's in there now. It would get errors at PC3200 with timings of 3-5-5-9. To get it stable, I'm running at PC1600 and the timings are still only 2.5-4-4-6. My new RAM is a 512mb stick of Patriot XBL RAM with timings of 2-2-2-5. I also plan to overclock a bit. I know latencies are the most important thing of Athlon64 systems, but I'm still wondering how much of a performance hit I will notice going from 1gb of RAM to 512mb aside from loading times.
 
Well you will probably take a significant hit in gaming. I know I had to play on a 256 machine for a while and it made me want to cry. Oh, especially if you like listening to that music while you play, maybe burn some CDs and play them in a CD player ;)


AMD 64 3200+ and a 6800U .... 512 RAM = bottleneck to say the least, upgrade ASAP.
 
I'm going to get another stick as soon as I get the money. I just want the one stick's raw speed to make up for the fact that it's half the amount I had before. (PC1600, 2.5-4-4-6 on an Athlon64 3200+ remember)
 
I don't know man, going from 1Gb of slower loose latency ram to 512MB of faster and tighter latency ram will be quite a performance hit. The tight timings may make it a bit more faster, but it certainly won't compensate for the amount of ram space you have lost.
 
O well. I'll just have to install it and see if I can live with it. I don't mind loading times being slower as long as I stop getting RAM errors constantly and 20fps in ut2k4.
 
You will still be able to play, and it will be bearable. I'm just saying you will most likely notice the difference, but the good news is you'll also notice a nice performance increase when you add another 512.
 
At least I'll be able to use this for a month or so until I get another $120 for a second stick. I figured it was better to get one really good stick now instead of a gig of Value RAM, as I would probably be happier down the line.
 
Yeah, there is no doubt you'll be fine for a couple months, or even for longer. If I went back to 512, I would definitely be able to live with it, but after upgrading to 1gig, I wouldn't want to go back.
 
Same here, I wouldn't really want to go back to 512, but if were a life and death situation (which I don't know why the hell it ever come to that!) then I'd do it. But I would hate to go to any less. Uhh, those 300$ Dells that have 128mb RAM... :( *gets sick to stomach, throws up, then repeats*
 
shadowbreaker513 said:
O well. I'll just have to install it and see if I can live with it. I don't mind loading times being slower as long as I stop getting RAM errors constantly and 20fps in ut2k4.
20fps in ut2004?????
Thats not your ram and buying better quality ram isn't going to up your frame rates.....I promise you.
 
Of course that was in a 32 man game in one of the most graphically intensive maps on 1280x1024 everything on the highest setting possible. But my RAM is still holding me back in everything I want to do regardless.
 
shadowbreaker513 said:
Of course that was in a 32 man game in one of the most graphically intensive maps on 1280x1024 everything on the highest setting possible. But my RAM is still holding me back in everything I want to do regardless.
HE WAS SUGARCOATING IT THE WHOLE TIME!!!! GRAB YOUR PITCHFORKS!!! ;)
 
shadowbreaker513 said:
Of course that was in a 32 man game in one of the most graphically intensive maps on 1280x1024 everything on the highest setting possible. But my RAM is still holding me back in everything I want to do regardless.
aaah.
I have been on this site from day one and if its one thing I have learned besides [H]eople know there shit is tweaking will get you more frames then a OC these days. I just had to throw that in hehe.
I have seen some crazy OCs but nothing beats a good ole tweak ass kicking.
I don't think dropping from 1gig to 512 will bug you as long as you tweak system services and other things that may eat ram. 1 gig is oh so nice though.
;)
 
I think one of the main reasons I eat up RAM so much is I always have steam, two virus scanners, AIM, and firefox open with at least 4 tabs at the same time.
 
shadowbreaker513 said:
I think one of the main reasons I eat up RAM so much is I always have steam, two virus scanners, AIM, and firefox open with at least 4 tabs at the same time.
Ok, kill your virus scanners unless your connected to someone/downloading but the rest are nothing. I have been using no virus protection/firewall for years but when I go pron surfing or do something of the like I turn it on and I have never had any issues.
Why are you using two virus scanners? Theres no need hehe.
 
Must be paranoid or something, I never ever run an anti-virus. I have never gotten a virus either.


Now watch, I'm gonna get a virus tommorrow. :eek:
 
jayjaya29 said:
Must be paranoid or something, I never ever run an anti-virus. I have never gotten a virus either.


Now watch, I'm gonna get a virus tommorrow. :eek:
I would at least do an online virus scan once a week. BTW, you have a visus!
:D
 
coffee33 said:
Ok, kill your virus scanners unless your connected to someone/downloading but the rest are nothing. I have been using no virus protection/firewall for years but when I go pron surfing or do something of the like I turn it on and I have never had any issues.
Why are you using two virus scanners? Theres no need hehe.
AVG and PC-Cillin. I also haven't gotten around to reinstalling spysweeper which I normall keep running as well.
 
shadowbreaker513 said:
AVG and PC-Cillin. I also haven't gotten around to reinstalling spysweeper which I normall keep running as well.
Spysweeper is the king, thats all I use besides my hands to remove spyware in my biz. Great stuff!
:p
 
Back
Top