Performance Hit Using a Divider

fiberoptik

Limp Gawd
Hey camp...
What type of preformance hit can I expect in running a divider on an A64 system. My ram is maxing out at 260mhz... Which would be better rasing timings to cas 3.0 8 4 4 or running the divider?

Signed,
Too lazy to do my own damn benchmarking...

fiberoptik said:
Too lazy to do my own damn benchmarking...

A64Tweaker and Everest. Use em both. Specificly, something called "Memory Latency".

You're looking for a low number. In my past experiences, I've noted that 2-3-2-5 1:1 is better than 2-2-2-5 5:6, but there's just a small difference... It shouldn't take you more than... Oh, 10-15 minutes? to test :)

I overclocked my A64 2800+ to 166 bus divider + 240 fsb, i still got 200 mhz frequency out of my ram, 2.5-3-3-7-1T which is actually faster then stock 3-3-3-8. I didnt change the voltage at all and i have same temps, i am very satisfied with how easy it was.

Stock 1800mhz
O/c = 2150 mhz, with no lower performance with ram, and no extra heat or voltage at all

I usually do not use a divider. I always run 1:1 and whatever speed I get, I get and am happy with that. However...

On the Athlon 64 architecture, using a divider incurs a extremly small performance hit because the memory controller is accually on the CPU itself. So use a divider if you have to, it will be all good.

Back