Performance drop with 2x SLI GTX 580

BETA.

2[H]4U
I bought a second GTX 580 for my rig from a fellow forum member, the card arrived today and I installed the card. I uninstalled the previous drivers and updated to Nvidia's latest drivers. I did a driver sweeper, CCleaner registry cleaner in safe mode after I uninstalled the old drivers and did a clean installation with the new drivers. Everything went smoothly until I launched CS:GO, my min FPS dropped drastically as well as my average FPS and I could feel the lagginess introduced. I took out each card and ran them independently and they ran fine, in fact the minimum FPS and average FPS was better when a single card was ran by itself than in SLI! I tried different games and I could feel lagginess and stutter when in SLI. I singled out my PSU, maybe it's going bad? But surely it would be able to handle it since it is a silverstone st1500. According to HWMonitor my +12v is horrendous, 11.81v in windows but about 10.8v during a video game. I brought out the multimeter and it reads 11.9v in windows and 11.74v in game. This pretty much confirmed my PSU should not be the culprit of bad performance, since 11.7 is acceptable

Some other thoughts could be bad drivers? Old SLI bridge? It's from 2005 from what is printed on it. Perhaps the videocards aren't playing nice in SLI for some reason?

If what you checked with your multimeter is correct I wouldn't suspect your PS just yet, and especially not based on HWMonitor. I simply do not use HWMonitor any longer due to this:

system2.jpg

That is on my brand new system that runs perfectly, there is no way my voltages looked like that lol, especially my +12v. There were actually times after that screeny where it was reporting like 1.5v for the +12v. I even confirmed by checking BIOS readings and using a different program, HWinfo, which I like alot better.

EDIT: And kudos to you for being able to put up with a delta cooling your CPU, I have a couple of the higher end deltas, and they are like jet engines!

The bridge may well be the issue. It was for me. Of course, I was trying to use a crossfire bridge for sli lol.

If what you checked with your multimeter is correct I wouldn't suspect your PS just yet, and especially not based on HWMonitor. I simply do not use HWMonitor any longer due to this:

That is on my brand new system that runs perfectly, there is no way my voltages looked like that lol, especially my +12v. There were actually times after that screeny where it was reporting like 1.5v for the +12v. I even confirmed by checking BIOS readings and using a different program, HWinfo, which I like alot better.

EDIT: And kudos to you for being able to put up with a delta cooling your CPU, I have a couple of the higher end deltas, and they are like jet engines!

I tried HWInfo and it gave me the same readings as HWMonitor. I mean I did bring out the multimeter and it said, 11.7-11.9v. I did read from my 24 pin, could I have gotten a reading for another voltage? But what other voltage is there that can be read at 12v?

I tried reseating the 8 pin connectors to different rails, reseat the sli bridge and roll back drivers and reinstall back to new ones.

I have to dig up for another bridge to try out.

Could this be the issue?

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=226&area=en

According to that chart, each 12v connector supplies at most 30 amps. One GTX 580 card is specified to use 42 amps from the +12v rail. So, I have to find a way to get two +12v rails to connect to each card?

If all that is true, that is ridiculous that this power supply would limit each +12v rail to only that much considering it has a combined total of 120 amps(1320 watts).

I think you're on to it there BETA, configuring the load for multi rails has become a chore imo.

Long live the high amp single rail!

Back