Performance Decrease with SP2?

Volume

2[H]4U
It must be just me, but my fresh install of Windows XP seems slower now that SP2 is on it. SP1 ran very smoothly, but now it seems games are suffereing from a drop in FPS.

Just want to know if anyone else noticed this, because in my previous partition, I ran Doom3 at high Quality silky smooth. Now, it's... well, not that smooth. I have all updated drivers for everything.

Not using firewall, or any BS services. Also, I just rolled back to SP1, and am having the same issue. I don't know what to do...

So what is the difference? Where are the true benchmarks, and stop disabling services for performance. ;)

Maybe my SATA drive is improperly configured? Bah... :confused: I don't know anymore. I got a supposedly low score on Aquamark3 of 30,xxx.

Did you remember to install the Intel chipset drivers before your video drivers?

For what it's worth, the new security features and Automatic update did hit performance a bit on my system. My 3DMark03 score dropped about 150 points with SP2. Turning features off in msconfig.exe is the only way to keep them from loading up. My benchmark score returned to normal after unchecking the security features and Automatic Update in "services" within msconfig. I use Norton NIS and AV, so there was no need to wrap the MS shell around them just for it to tell me they were in use.

Back