PerfectDisc 8 or Diskeeper 10 ? Wich is a better Defragmenting Program???

falconman515

Limp Gawd
I have used PerfectDisk for a while know but ive seen alot about Diskeeper and even in this mionths Maximum PC there recommendation for a defragmenting program is diskeeper.

Anyone have an opinion and why on my question?

I use diskeeper since version 7 and never had a problem with it, even the one included on windows is a very basic version of DK

oldmx

I've always had better luck with perfectdisk than diskeeper. I use PD at home and DK at work and it always seems that DK can't completely defrag my hdd which bugs me a bit. I'm certainly no expert though and this is all based on personal experience so take it with a grain of salt.

We prefer PerfectDisk simply because they have ONE server product no matter how large the disk volume and remote administration doesn't require an add on product like Diskeeper.

Can I vote for Diskeeper 9? I haven't used PerfectDisk before, but Diskeeper always works great for me. O&O Defrag has borked too many drives for me to even consider it. If you ask me, the O&O means Ooops & Ooops.

falconman515 said:
Anyone have an opinion and why on my question?

IMHO, I can't see why you would pay for a defrag program when the built in one does an OK job.

pigster said:
IMHO, I can't see why you would pay for a defrag program when the built in one does an OK job.

scheduling. its easy to have it defrag at say.... 4am on saturdays when yer asleep.

that being said.. office uses Diskeeper 10 and loves it; i plan on getting it soon as well.

pigster said:
Added function if nothing else. For most people running their own machine the built in defragger is fine, but for office settings and power users a 3rd party defrag program gives a lot more options. I know perfectdisk better than diskeeper so I'll stick to that, but I'm guessing most of the options are similar, but perfectdisk allows me to do the following:

single file defragmentation; free space defrag; defrag multiple drives simultaneously; much more robust scheduling; defrag system files at boot

I also know that it supports a number of management options for defragging computers from a network which is really nice for business or some higher end home setups.

Like I said, it's definitely not necessary for everyone, but the added functions are really great to have and I think they're worth it.

saan44 said:
but the added functions are really great to have and I think they're worth it.

I guess that's the key, I just don't see these minor improvements are worth $30

pigster said:
I guess that's the key, I just don't see these minor improvements are worth $30

Consider this one "feature" - The built in defrag does not touch files that are "in use" such as the swap file and other system files. Perfectdisk and Diskeeper can perform boot time defrags which result in a complete defragmentation of all files.

Been using PerfectDisk for years now, it's never given me anything but the best in performance and features. Also, no matter how fragmented my drive(s) have been, regardless of the content on them, PerfectDisk defragments them in a single pass, without fail.

Diskeeper... yeah right. I don't think so.

And PerfectDisk is faster too, especially with v8 that just came out. It smokes Diskeeper like a marijuana addict that just got dropped off in Amsterdam from a non-smoking 25 hour international flight and someone else is buying. :)

Back