PERC 5i unable to create VMFS

phin

n00b
Joined
Sep 1, 2013
Messages
11
Quick hardware:

X7DWN+
Dual L5320's
8GB Ram
LSI 9211-8i
Dell PERC 5i


The LSI is in the 2nd slot down, not the one with the extra ports. The PERC is in the last PCI-E Slot. I currently have the 9211 passed to an OpenIndiana VM to control my media drives. I am not attempting to pass the PERC, I have that setup as I want to use it for local data stores.

When I am attempting to create the VMFS I get an error.

Call "HostDatastoreSystem.CreateVmfsDatastore" for object "ha-datastoresystem"

I have attempted to update the firmware, with no luck. Any suggestions?
 
When you create the virtual disks in PERC config (CTRL+R at boot), are you initializing them before attempting to use them?
 
Code:
2013-09-12T01:32:53.923Z cpu2:2984)Vol3: 692: Couldn't read volume header from control: Not supported
2013-09-12T01:32:53.923Z cpu2:2984)Vol3: 692: Couldn't read volume header from control: Not supported
2013-09-12T01:32:53.923Z cpu2:2984)FSS: 4972: No FS driver claimed device 'control': Not supported
2013-09-12T01:32:53.933Z cpu0:2984)VC: 1547: Device rescan time 56 msec (total number of devices 6)
2013-09-12T01:32:53.933Z cpu0:2984)VC: 1550: Filesystem probe time 103 msec (devices probed 4 of 6)
2013-09-12T01:32:54.102Z cpu0:2984)Vol3: 692: Couldn't read volume header from control: Not supported
2013-09-12T01:32:54.102Z cpu0:2984)Vol3: 692: Couldn't read volume header from control: Not supported
2013-09-12T01:32:54.102Z cpu0:2984)FSS: 4972: No FS driver claimed device 'control': Not supported
2013-09-12T01:32:54.140Z cpu1:2984)VC: 1547: Device rescan time 25 msec (total number of devices 6)
2013-09-12T01:32:54.140Z cpu1:2984)VC: 1550: Filesystem probe time 102 msec (devices probed 4 of 6)
 
I'd need most of the vmkernel file to figure it out most likely. Snag it and feed it somewhere and we'll go from there.

Or, get the last 10 lines from /var/log/vmkwarning.log. That might give me something to point you at.
 
lopoetve, I tried messing with a few more things and I was eventually able to get the card to pass, but then it failed in the VM. I am going to chaulk this card up to having issues with vt-d as I had figured.

Other cards are working fine.
 
It sounds like an I/O error, I think the card is just too old.

Though you might be able to pass the drives through via RDM if you still wanted to use it.
 
Wouldnt work that way.. From what I am reading is VT-D needs to be off entirely, in order for this to work correctly. Not possible as I have another card being passed to a vm.
 
Back
Top