• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Perc 5i expander

rockdude14

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 28, 2003
Messages
235
I'd like to make a new 2tb raid 5 array on my expander but I've pretty much filled up the existing ports. I figured an expander would be a good choice and upgrade my case to one of the norcos. I'm not sure which expander cards work with the perc 5i. I cant find much information about them. Anyone have experience using an expander with a perc 5i?

Thanks
 
Don't know about the 12803 expander, but there's a post about the 12804 and Perc 5i.
Search for "perc 5i expander" in the advanced search form and display the posts results, not threads.
 
Didn't think the perc5i supported expanders, just the perc5e.
 
Last edited:
Don't know about the 12803 expander, but there's a post about the 12804 and Perc 5i.
Search for "perc 5i expander" in the advanced search form and display the posts results, not threads.

I actually saw that and pmed him since he never updated whether it worked or not after he had a damaged case that he returned

I've searched. I mostly find posts asking if it will work


@melakion
I would think it should
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/raid/perc5/en/ug/html/chapterb.htm
it supports 32 drives per array
id find that odd if it only supported 8 drives max
but I really cant find much on people using them with expanders
 
I am interested if it can support expander, would be an excellent low budget choice.
 
Controller's mapping mode does not support external enclosures.
System has halted due to unsupported configuration. Please disconnect any extern
al
enclosures that are connected to this controller and reboot the system.
Please contact technical support for further assistance.

^ PERC 5/i connected to a HP SAS expander.
Breaks in white space preserved for giggles.

Good news is that it sees the expander. Bad news is it's not supported ^_^

My system halts here, and I can't continue on to see if the management software sees the drives.

This is with the Dell firmware. I never got a chance to try flashing the card with LSI firmware.
 
As a thought, I've had a few 512MB plus BBU Perc 5/i's and they eventually died.

With 2TB drives now the norm, RAID 5 is making less sense which leads you to RAID 10, RAID 1 or software RAID-6. All of which will probably end up faster on a LSI SAS 2008 based PCIe 2.0 x8 controller. I can't remember what the max bandwidth you could get with the Perc 5/i (might be wrong but I think it may have had a PCI-X to PCIe bridge chip too) was in the 800MB/s range. The SAS 2008 can handle 2GB/s+, SAS Expanders, and is close to the same price.
 
Back
Top