Perc 5/i - Where to stick it

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilAlchemist

2[H]4U
Not sure if I am just tired .. or can't seem to grasp this concept at the monent.

Dell Perc 5/i requires (1 x PCI Express x8)
Meaning is needs a x8 slot ....

I have an Abit IP35 Pro Motherboard which has
1 x PCI-E X16 & 1 x PCI-E X16 (x4 bandwidth)

Will it work in either?

What preformance hit will it take running in the second PCI-E slot?

In theory, an x8 card should work perfectly fine in a x16 slot. The perc card has problems with certain motherboards, however, since it is dell branded. It may or may not work, there is a thread over at 2cpu.com if i remember correctly, listing some tested boards.

I have the card working using the tape mod ... so no issue there.

Photo Taken from my Worklog Thread

DSCN2102T.jpg

'
Right now, I have the Pecr in the PCI-E X16 (First Slot), a PCI Slot Fan .. and then a x1550 Video Card in the PCI-E X16 (x4 bandwidth) Slot

I want to add a better video card and add it to the PCI-E X16 slot, then have the raid card in the PCI-E X16 (x4 bandwidth) Slot.... and put the fan below that (fan required on these - cards get hot)

Just trying to see it the x4 bandwidth thing will affect preformance?

You won't see any performance loss with a PCIe 4x slot. That still provides 1gb/s, which this card is not capable of.

You won't see any performance loss with a PCIe 4x slot. That still provides 1gb/s, which this card is not capable of.

Awesome ... That is what I thought as well...

This cards spec rate is "Data Transfer Rate: 300 MBps " so that makes 100% sense.

Many thanks for the help.

my perc 5/i is running in a 4x electrical slot just fine, just don't put it into a 1x electrical slot ....even though it should give enough bandwidth the card performance suffers alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back