Perc 5/i Management Software

jadams

2[H]4U
How can I manage this thing? I downloaded the Dell OpenManage software but I cant even log into it no matter what credentials I choose.

The login page comes up, but when I login it actually tells me conneciton error, with no real information.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe some functionality of the card is lost if you are not using it in a Dell Server with Dell Drives.

Anyways, a lot of people flash the perc with LSI firmware and then use LSI Storage Manager. At least this is what I did with my perc 6.

Try looking on this thread for tons of information:
http://www.overclock.net/t/359025/perc-5-i-raid-card-tips-and-benchmarks

Care to share some more details?

The LSI site's download section has over 4000 things in it and none of them specify a Dell Perc card. I dont imagine they would.

I found the management software, but the drivers/firmware are hiding very well.

I own and use a handful of PERC5 and PERC6 cards in non-Dell systems (and countless more in Dell servers), and I've found that older Dell firmware is less problematic in terms of boot detection. After updating to newer LSI firmware, I've had a number of systems that would intermittently fail to detect the PERC cards. I have since downgraded all of them. Therefore, I would not recommend flashing it to LSI firmware.

I use the LSI management software (MSM) on all of the PERC cards, even with Dell FW. It seems to work just fine. I think that the Dell Storage Manager is the same thing, just repackaged. Dell's OpenManage suite will not run on non-Dell systems, but provides about the same functionality.

I think that the Dell Storage Manager is the same thing, just repackaged. Dell's

You are right. I did find the LSI Storage Manager software and it was identical to the Dell Storage Manager I had installed.

OpenManage suite will not run on non-Dell systems,

After screwing with it for several hours I finally gave up. Glad to see I wasted so much time lol.

The whole reason for abruptly needing this software was because one of my drives failed. Or so says the Perc, and now the management software.

However when I run the disk through Seagate tools is says the drive is prefectly fine. The drive is relatively new and definitly still under warranty. Should I send it back?

Back