Pepsi in my card.

Arnge

Limp Gawd
My cat dropped a can of pepsi over the case .

and the case is vented from the top.

anyways , some of it dropped over the Vga card and the PSU and the MB.

i got a clean tissue and sucjed it all and then cleaned the remains with wet tissues.

after that my card turned from 42 idle into 47 idle.

and when i open ATI tools it suddenly goes to 58 ?

and there is some strange ting sound " like a metal popping" every 15 mins.

is there any thing i can do ?

make burgers out of your cat, and purchase a new comp... more than likely if it was on, you're going to continue to have issues with your pc. I dropped some coolaid in my lap top a few years ago.. didn't run the same afterwards...

disconnect the power and take out your video card, check to see if theres any type of liquid anywhere. if you dont see anything id still let it sit for about a day just to dry off. same goes for mobo and other components. i wouldnt risk turning it on. how long was it before you turned it on the first time after the whole accident?

Something similar happened to me a while ago, was my brother not a cat, still made burgers out of him. But I got very lucky, only a little got splattered on the card (6800GT) Nothing technical happened, only difference is that dust sticks more easily on the back side.

can't you give it a bath in some rubbing alcohol or something? or maybe it was distilled water and some rubbing alcohol mixed into it and then you let it dry for a day or two and then see if it works. someone who knows better can correct me.

Your cat has an opposable thumb?

Similar to what Boozer said, examine everything affected very closely for dried liquid and maybe stains. Let it sit for a good long time. How much Pepsi was it?

If everything (especially your PSU) seems okay, just let your system run normally. If stuff comes up, you might need to swap or replace something. If it continues to run a bit hot but still runs, and you can live with it, you should be fine.

Clean it with denatured alcohol. If you want, give it a bath in the stuff, but take off any plastic parts on the heatsink before you do. Alcohol doesn't like plastic.

PSU I would replace without a second thought, if anything got screwed in there then you could screw your system as a whole. Call your PSU manufacturer and see if there cool with replacing it, some are some aren't. As for the card and the mobo, you can let em sit for a day, you can try the cotten swaps and alcohol, but do not turn your system back on anyless then a days of rest. Seeing you already turned your system back on and it runs, kudoos, if there is anything with your mobo or you video card, try the manufacturer. You'd be suprised how nice they can be.

As for the cat, its had a good long time and it knows it will die eventually, so do yourself a favor find some rednecks that will take that pesky critter off your hand and enjoy a good roof rabbit stew, yumy.

*edit* alcohol also dosen't like cooper, so good luck.

wow guys, after what happened i took every thing off dried every thing then put it back on and started my pc.

working for like 12 hours now.

the only problem is the higher temps on idle.

Your cat has an opposable thumb?

I never allow animals lacking opposable thumbs to drink soda near my computer. Hair and fur covered paws are even worse - it's so tough to hang on to cold aluminum with built-in gloves.

lol you cant just let a soft drink on a component and expect it to dry.

i can't help u i only drink Coke :p

Coke sucks, two thumbs down :p

On another note, if the Pepsi magically got under the contact patch of the GPU and HSF and messed about with the thermal compound, that could be why the temps are slightly higher. And if it isn't that, make sure that the temperature inside the room didn't go up. Ambient temperature has a large effect on internal components temperature.

Pepsi is okay, but I like Coke more. Diet Coke is disgusting, but Diet Pepsi isn't too bad.

clean with alcohol and let it dry out for a few days before using.

Any minute now, your doorbell's gonna ring, and when you open it, Bill Engvall will be standing there with a great big grin saying, "Here's your sign!";)

Any minute now, your doorbell's gonna ring, and when you open it, Bill Engvall will be standing there with a great big grin saying, "Here's your sign!";)

But it was his cat! His cat was casually holding and drinking a Pepsi and inadvertently dropped it.

But it was his cat! His cat was casually holding and drinking a Pepsi and inadvertently dropped it.

i´m starting to think that it was not Pepsi, a cat would never drop a Pepsi !!! maybe it was some Dr Pepper :D

i´m starting to think that it was not Pepsi, a cat would never drop a Pepsi !!! maybe it was some Dr Pepper :D

image if it was coke!!! all the acid in it could have ruined his computer instantly.

My cat dropped a can of pepsi over the case .

you're cat was carrying the pepsi? hoe does he/she hold it with those paws? does it like the taste of pepsi? my cat only seems to like fish.

Dr. Furburger says: "beware of pussy [cats] that smell like fish!"

Back