People Without Landlines Are Smokers And Heavy Drinkers

I'd bet the people with landlines are generally older also. As in, they are clinging on to their old phone numbers and such. Who would have thought, right?

I beg to differ with the results of this sensationalist pile of male bovine fecal matter masquerading as a "study". I do not drink, do not smoke, and I do not have a land line telephone.
Hmm, seems they didn't want to include people like me in their study because that would skew their preconceived results.

What bullshit. I don't have a landline and I don't smoke, I seldom drink and I have great medical coverage. And I make a good wage. I don't have a landline because the only people that called it were telemarketers.

I have a land line and I drink. I just don't answer the phone when random or blocked callerid shows up. Explain your plight to my voicemail, random butthead I don't want to talk to.

Technically it's VOIP on Fios but it does hook into my house copper and my regular cordless phones.

The summary was sensationalist, but if you flip around, and look at what it says about landline owners, it simply shows that they are more cautious and less likely to take risks.
These are the people that will keep a landline "just in case," or to prioritize paying for health insurance instead of going out for drinks.
Ironically, these are the same types of people that would have been early adopters of cellphones, because having a cell phone while traveling is also a form of insurance.

They should have created a 3rd "group" consisting of all the survey results together, to see which of the 2 groups is closer to the general population. Are cell-only people MORE likely to drink, or are landline owners LESS likely to drink, for example.

This "study" started out with a preconceived set of results and then worked backwards to fit the data to fit the results. Any deviation from their preconceived results would have resulted in them losing their funding.

At least that is what I think about it. :p

Do they include VOIP in the land line study? Many households have a VOIP land line but not traditional telecom phones.
No way in hell I'll ever go back to AT&T and their extortionist rates for "long distance" for calls over 3 miles to my west because I live on the edge of a zone.
No way in hell I'm ever going back to those squirrelly overpriced bastards.
The ONLY people that still have telecom land lines are old people that don't know any better and think drinking and playing cards are a sin.

Dammit, does this mean I have to take up smoking & drinking more than a few glasses of champagne on New Years?

This "study" started out with a preconceived set of results and then worked backwards to fit the data to fit the results. Any deviation from their preconceived results would have resulted in them losing their funding.

At least that is what I think about it. :p

Well, to be fair, the actual study was a general survey on health habits by the CDC and NIH ... the suppositions about wireless vs land line seem to be driven more by the income discrepancy rather than land lane vs wireless solely (not having read the actual CDC study it is quite possible that the hyperbolic interpretations of the study are just bad Washington Post reporting and not a bad study) ... however, there does appear to be a lot of confounded data which is why I would like to see census data (which tends to be much more accurate)

Umm, ok. I am a competitive runner and rarely drink. Oh, and I only have a smart phone, guess I am smart.

Who needs landline when you have Google Voice and VOIP? If you're smart enough to replace landline than most likely you're smart enough to realize smoking is bad. Nothing wrong with light social drinker.

What a retarded study, amazing that someone spend money on that. Having a land line is so 90's. Why would anyone who has a cell phone want a land line? You have separate phone number instead of just have you cell number follow you. No telemarketer crap and so many other benefits of a cell. Cell service offer much more now than it did 10 years ago, coverage goes pretty much everywhere too. Even my parents got rid of most of their land lines due to no reason to keep them when you have a cell phone. Many businesses are also going to VOIP over land lines to have a more convenient and unified communications system and to also save on maintenance (I'm sure these people are all smokers and heavy drinkers). Essentially land line became a redundant thing to have and cost vs. benefit is no longer there.

For the 1st time in over a decade I finally got a home phone.
When I moved they had a great deal that came with TV/Internet/Phone
so I took the phone. They came installed it and it started ringing, I mean this
thing didn't stop ringing. I was like "how the fuck do these companies have our
# already". Yesterday I disconnected it and its the best thing I ever did!!!!

Back