People reporting firmware issues with Samsung 850 Pro

Great, another Samsung Issue... going to make drive choices easier for a lot of folks.

Indeed... and I currently have a 840 EVO 1Tb in my main rig , I was considering the 850 Pro , so it will be Corsair then.

Good Lord... again. Just saw the other day that they're still working on a better soloution for the 840evo drives on pcper.com as the slow downs still happen.

I just updated to this firmware a couple days ago on my 850 Pro. It failed the first time, but I tried it again...and it worked. Scary as hell.

No data corruption or problems but we shall see.

Mine went fine on Magician with 850 pro, hair faster after but not enough to brag about.
Most importantly it didn't explode. If I'd read about issues earlier I'd have not bothered..

I have a few sammies, thanks everyone for beta testing the latest firmware?

I also learned the hard way this week to let VirtualBox simmer for a couple weeks before upgrading to the latest "stable" release ... but not nearly as bad as bricking an SSD. SSD really needs dual bios, where the fail safe is raw read access, and special software can retrieve the data manually. Then secure erase + reflash. At least the advanced user could recover. As it is, hope you didn't have any data on the drive that you wouldn't want prying eyes to look at in the repair center.

I also learned the hard way this week to let VirtualBox simmer for a couple weeks before upgrading to the latest "stable" release ... but not nearly as bad as bricking an SSD. SSD really needs dual bios, where the fail safe is raw read access, and special software can retrieve the data manually. Then secure erase + reflash. At least the advanced user could recover. As it is, hope you didn't have any data on the drive that you wouldn't want prying eyes to look at in the repair center.

Modifiable firmware on a storage device sounded like a bad idea from the moment SSD's hit the market. In theory it would allow some fine tweaking (ala OCZ), but it also comes with the significant pitfall that one wrong bit and POOF! Hope you have a backup and shipping time on your hands. OCZ really gave firmware updates a bad rap.

I avoid it like the plague. Invest more in your damn firmwares from the start and don't ship half-assed software that runs the hardware until its ready. You don't have this issue with Hard Drives. Well, there was that Seagate issue. Actually quite a few which nearly a decade later they're still paying for with lack of product trust.

Samsung needs to get their shit together. They're hitting that dominance point where OCZ was before they fucked it all up. Still plenty of players left to kick them to the bottom, unlike Seagate.

Magician still tells me my old firmware is current. It's a good thing I didn't know there was an update. I'll be sure to wait out Samsung's future updates for...at least several weeks.

Otherwise: enjoying my new 850 pro 256GB. It really does feel faster than the Intel X-25M G1. :)

Modifiable firmware on a storage device sounded like a bad idea from the moment SSD's hit the market. In theory it would allow some fine tweaking (ala OCZ), but it also comes with the significant pitfall that one wrong bit and POOF! Hope you have a backup and shipping time on your hands. OCZ really gave firmware updates a bad rap.

I avoid it like the plague. Invest more in your damn firmwares from the start and don't ship half-assed software that runs the hardware until its ready. You don't have this issue with Hard Drives. Well, there was that Seagate issue. Actually quite a few which nearly a decade later they're still paying for with lack of product trust.

Samsung needs to get their shit together. They're hitting that dominance point where OCZ was before they fucked it all up. Still plenty of players left to kick them to the bottom, unlike Seagate.

SSD firmwares are infinitely more complex than HDD firmwares, you can't compare the two, it's like comparing a simple program and an OS.

Update since 2/26:

Been doing lots of IO stuff setting up new dev tools. So far, so good. Canned benchmarks appear to be inline with expected results, if not just a wee bit quicker.

This is with RAPID mode enabled.

SSD firmwares are infinitely more complex than HDD firmwares, you can't compare the two, it's like comparing a simple program and an OS.

Yeah, HDDs only have to contend with a high speed rotating platters + motor control + precise timing + multiple heads + arm positioning.

Show me an SSD that can sing the Star Wars theme song. :D

Guess I'll just count my lucky stars the 840 Pro never had these issues....

Back