Pentium D....

The Saint

Gawd
....in the search for the best HTPC solution (currently using a Barton 2800+ with an NF7-S rev. 1.0 ) I came accross the Pentium D line.....

How are those processors for upscaling DVDs up to 1920x1080?

I'm asking this because I preordered a Sharp LC45D90U. which will be out in May, and would like to view the DVDs to full resolution, while using Avisinth and other filters....

any comments?

Basic video upscaling is a function of the video card, advanced upscaling (like FFDShow) is a function of the CPU.

The P-D will do just as well as an A64 X2 (but with more heat issues ;) ) since FFDShow isn't multi threaded for multi CPU configs. Basically it doesn't much matter to FFDShow which one your using since its not designed to work on more then one CPU. You can tell it to use two processes but theres no garrentee that it will speed anything up or evey work correctly.

Thanks mucho Crim....

:) Just needed to know that for clarification!

When will someone release ffdshow for dual core CPUs, I am wondering!

From what I can remember it needs to be rewritten or something like that to be multi threaded and Andy (the guy who threw FFDShow together) isn't interested in doing that mostly cause he doesn't/didn't have a dual core (or multi CPU) setup.

Thats as much as I can remember right now, I just got back from a friends house, walked and was alittle chilly, and I'm pretty tired so I there might be some technical reasons why FFDShow isn't multi threaded (like maybe the codec libraries it uses isn't?) but it's late and my brain is failing me alittle. :)

Back