Pentium D vs Core 2 Duo

Hagrid

[H]F Junkie
Intel Pentium D 915 Presler 2.8GHz for 120.00
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz for 180.00

The pentium D has 2M + 2M L2, 1ghz more, 266mhz fsb slower
The core 2 has 2M shared, 1ghz slower, and 266mhz fsb more

Which is faster? Is the 60.00 more worth it?

Shawn

Hagrid said:
Intel Pentium D 915 Presler 2.8GHz for 120.00
Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz for 180.00

The pentium D has 2M + 2M L2, 1ghz more, 266mhz fsb slower
The core 2 has 2M shared, 1ghz slower, and 266mhz fsb more

Which is faster? Is the 60.00 more worth it?

Shawn

The Core 2 is hands down faster than the Pentium D. It may run 1GHz slower, but it does more in each of those GHz than the P-D does. Plus it's execution design if WAY more efficient than the P-D's.

The Core 2 Duo is much faster than the Pentium D, and allows for faster single threaded tasks due to sharing L2. Yes, its worth the extra $60.

The Pentium D is way faster. :p

It just came out and it's already been replaced by the much superior Core 2 Duo. :D

wilka91 said:
The Pentium D is way faster. :p

It just came out and it's already been replaced by the much superior Core 2 Duo. :D

Have you done testing between these 2 to say the Pentium d would be faster?

Shawn

So the 2mb L2 shared is better then 2 separate ones? I wasnt sure with the Pentium d being 1ghz faster would make a difference in the lower fsb and architecture as you put it.

Shawn

Core 2 Duo performs more operations per clock cycle. So megahertz speed is not comparable in any way at all between the two processors.It is not just about cache by any stretch.

Simple apology (try not to laugh)

Picture a guy on a bike who is peddling at 100 revolutions per minute in the lowest gear(Pentium D). Then picture a guy on the same bike peddling at 50 revolutions per minute in the higest gear (Core 2), who is "traveling" faster? the second one obviously, even though the first guy is "peddling" at twice the speed

In other words Core 2 does a lot more work per Megahertz over Pentium D, it is a far more efficient architecture.

Battleneter2 said:
Core 2 Duo performs more operations per clock cycle. So megahertz speed is not comparable in any way at all between the two processors.It is not just about cache by any stretch.

Picture a guy on a bike who is peddling at 100 revolutions per minute in the lowest gear(Pentium D). Then picture a guy on the same bike peddling at 50 revolutions per minute in the higest gear (Core 2), who is "traveling" faster? the second one obviously, even though the first guy is "peddling" at twice the speed

In other words Core 2 does a lot more work per Megahertz over Pentium D, it is a far more efficient architecture.

great example..

The Pentium D's fail miserably at performance tests and produce ridiculous amounts of heat. That line of processors, along with the P4's, nearly cost Intel the CPU market. Go with the Core 2 Duo's, they outperform the AMD X2's (although they cost more) and are quite overclockable.

Battleneter2 said:

lol
perfect analogy

Thanks to all! I guess I will make this Pentium D 2.8ghz into a server comp.

I will make a new gaming system with a c2d, mb, 2 x 1gb ddr2 1000, and a pci-e video.

I guess i could put this X800 in one of the kids comp so they can play that stupid online game runescape faster? They each have a nice comp and that is the crap they play. Dam kids! :D

Shawn

Hagrid said:
Thanks to all! I guess I will make this Pentium D 2.8ghz into a server comp.

I will make a new gaming system with a c2d, mb, 2 x 1gb ddr2 1000, and a pci-e video.

I guess i could put this X800 in one of the kids comp so they can play that stupid online game runescape faster? They each have a nice comp and that is the crap they play. Dam kids! :D

Shawn
Runescape is all done on the CPU. They can use there intergraded graphics card while you can sell the X800 for some cash towards the new computer ;)

Hagrid said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilka91
The Pentium D is way faster.

It just came out and it's already been replaced by the much superior Core 2 Duo.

Have you done testing between these 2 to say the Pentium d would be faster?

Shawn
lol he was being sarcastic. or at least talking about pentium d being faster in a different sense ;)

Well, my brother has a Pentium D 950 (or whatever it was), at 3.4 GHz, which he overclocks to about 4.5 GHz.
I have an E6600 which I run at the stock 2.4 GHz. And still mine beats his PC in pretty much everything we've tried.

When I overclocked mine to 3 GHz, there was really no match at all

Hagrid said:
So the 2mb L2 shared is better then 2 separate ones? I wasnt sure with the Pentium d being 1ghz faster would make a difference in the lower fsb and architecture as you put it.

Shawn

I've had both and overclocked they were 1Ghz apart (4Ghz Pentium D vs 3Ghz Core 2).

All I did was change out the motherboard (to support Core2) & CPU.

Benchmarks:

4Ghz Pentium D
vs.
3Ghz Core 2

In most things, the Core 2 is about 50% faster! In some applications like Super Pi its 100% faster (does 1m places in half the time of the Pentium D)

ziddey said:
lol he was being sarcastic. or at least talking about pentium d being faster in a different sense ;)
Ahh, so basically wilka91 is just spamming nonsense, so I know who not to listen to now. :)

pArTy said:
Runescape is all done on the CPU. They can use there intergraded graphics card while you can sell the X800 for some cash towards the new computer ;)
Yeah and the 6600GT in the other kids computer.... The 3rd kids comp only has a fx5200 so not worth much. (2 are S754 athlon 64's 3500+ and 1 is a s462 athlon 3000+ with 1gb each) way overkill for a stupid online game......

Both are good CPU's
I've got a Pentium D 950, stock speeds, and a e6400 oc'd to 3.2ghz. Both with x800 video cards, 2 gb ram, etc.

I can't tell the difference between the two, not in gaming, not in apps that I use, not in movie compression, or general feel.. They both are quick, neither is mindblowing.

I know the video card is the gaming limit, i rarely have time to run any games so it's not a big deal. My point it that with the other hardware basically the same, they perform really close to each other. The core 2 will encode a movie about 3 minutes faster, but it's still 15 mins to do it.

if you are buying a new cpu only, and the Pentium D will work with your exsisting setup, that may be a better choice.

If your building a new system, the core 2 is a smarter decision.

Core 2 Duo all the way. The Netburst architecture was a dismal failure by all accounts (Netburst is the Pentium 4's architecture, and I think the P-D uses the same one). They tried to go with a long pipeline and high clock speeds and it failed them miserably. The Core 2 Duo uses a much shorter pipeline and dropped the clock speeds. It's not as "fast" in a per clock cycles sense, but it is loads more efficient. It gets things done faster than any Netburst CPU, despite having significantly lower clock speeds.

In short, if you are building a new system, you would be foolish NOT to buy a C2D right now, and this is coming from a long time AMD guy. My C2D E6600 is the first Intel chip I have owned since my P2-266, and I don't regret the purchase one bit. It blows the doors off of everything I use my computer for.

Back