pentium D simple question

evilmonkey

Limp Gawd
I was just wondering a) why the pentium D processors are so much cheaper than the amd X2's. and b) if you get a 2.8ghz pentium D if it's two 1.4ghz cores, or two 2.8 cores or what. sorry if it's such a newbie question :).

Cause Intel can afford to sell the Pentium D cheap?

Their margin is probably fairly slim on the 820, but man think of the markup on the single cores in the same price bracket

And yes it is two full blown 2.8Ghz cores. Single-threaded performance of the Pentium D is pretty much the same as any other P4 at the same speed.

X2's are a different (and better) implementation of the dual core technology. X2's are quite a bit better at what they do but the intel's are a good lower cost dual core solution.

if they wernt cheap Intel couldnt sell them.

X2 outperforms by a huge margin, so Intel cant compete with performance, so they compete price wise. Same boat AMD was in with the end of the Athlon XP lineup. Those cheap 2500+ xps were great.

Intel is selling them cheapo to get a large installed user base as fast as possible. They want to corner the market on double-core procs. Even though I'm typing this on a Pentium D (hey, it was cheap!) I'd agree that AMD's dual option is better (but a little pricey).

also, keep in mind, Pentium D range between 2.8 and 3.2ghz, a fair bit below the top end Pentium 4 600 series,
even the low end X2s are 2.2ghz/512k or 1M L2, a 3500 or 3700+.

Really the pricing isn't that far off. Intel puts their dual core chips at just under twice the price of the single core counterpart at the same clockspeed/bus/cache. The X2s hover around that point, a few being a bit more than double a few being a bit less than double.
The biggest difference in price comes from the fact the X2s are some of the highest clocked cores AMD offers (other than the FXs), A 4800+ is two 2.4ghz/1MiB of L2, a 4000+ (the fastest non-FX Athlon64) is 2.4ghz/1MiB of L2 chip.
Intel's fastest dual core chip is a 3.2ghz/1MiB L2. I fully belive if intel had a 3.6/3.8ghz 2MiB L2 dual core offering it would be in that ~$1000 and up range that the 4800+ falls into.

Back