• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Pentium D issue

AliceCooper

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Mar 25, 2007
Messages
1,478
Yes I have a problem with my LGA 775 Pentium D dual core processor. If I remember right its the 820 2.8ghz processor. My problem is, when in the BIOS I looked at the temp of the processor and it was at 72 celcius. I took the HSF from a Pentium 4 LGA 775 3.0ghz processor and put it on the dual core. The HSF looks pretty much the same as the core 2 duo HSF but with a different style fan. I used Artic Silver 5 thermal paste also (a thin layer spread out). When I looked at the temperature it was right after I put the HSF and thermalpaste on. Help would be appreciated as I have no idea why it would be running so hot and because I've read the max temperatures for this processor is like 62 celcius. Thanks :)!
 
I suppose that the issue could be one a few things...

1. Did you wipe off the excess thermal paste before you applied new thermal paste? Sometimes if you add new thermal paste on top of an old layer of thermal paste the result is such that it actually insulates the processor instead of transferring the heat from the processor to the heat sink.

2. Although I'm not completely informed on the issue of your particular computer it can also be the case that the computer is not reporting accurate temperatures. If it is running that hot and the maximum temp of the processor is 62 Celsius I would imagine that the system would be shutting itself down at 72. Try to get your hands on a thermal gauge (I know that my voltmeter has a thermal gauge on it...perhaps you have something similar?) to see if it's simply your BIOS reporting an incorrect temp.

3. Have you tried exchanging fans on the heat sink? Your current fan might not be spinning fast enough to get the heat off of the processor. It's a bit of a long shot but it's not a big deal to try out so it might just save you some time.
 
I suppose that the issue could be one a few things...

1. Did you wipe off the excess thermal paste before you applied new thermal paste? Sometimes if you add new thermal paste on top of an old layer of thermal paste the result is such that it actually insulates the processor instead of transferring the heat from the processor to the heat sink.

2. Although I'm not completely informed on the issue of your particular computer it can also be the case that the computer is not reporting accurate temperatures. If it is running that hot and the maximum temp of the processor is 62 Celsius I would imagine that the system would be shutting itself down at 72. Try to get your hands on a thermal gauge (I know that my voltmeter has a thermal gauge on it...perhaps you have something similar?) to see if it's simply your BIOS reporting an incorrect temp.

3. Have you tried exchanging fans on the heat sink? Your current fan might not be spinning fast enough to get the heat off of the processor. It's a bit of a long shot but it's not a big deal to try out so it might just save you some time.

Yes I scrubbed off the old thermal paste and applied the new. I think it might be reading wrong since it will actually run and not shut its self down even at the supposid 72c.. Well thanks for your help I guess ill try speeding up the fan and checking the temp with a volt meter (if mine has a temp monitor on it.
 
I should add one thought, however.

The temp gauge on the voltmeter won't give you the exact temperature either...but with the amount of disparity you're experiencing between the maximum temperature in the literature and the reported temperature it should at least give you an idea of whether or not the onboard temp gauge is accurate.
 
Make sure all of the push pins are completely down on that heatsink. I had the same problem with a Pentium 4 prescott core, and it was because one of the little teeth on the bottom of the one push pin was bent up and wouldn't go through the hole in the board. Also make sure all the push pins are turned to the locking position.

On a side note after checking the pins...have you put your finger on the heatsink to see if it's hot to the touch when the system is on? Do it carefully of course, but if the system is truly running above 70C, the heatsink should be pretty warm. If it's cool to the touch, chances are it's reporting the wrong temperature.
 
Make sure all of the push pins are completely down on that heatsink. I had the same problem with a Pentium 4 prescott core, and it was because one of the little teeth on the bottom of the one push pin was bent up and wouldn't go through the hole in the board. Also make sure all the push pins are turned to the locking position.

On a side note after checking the pins...have you put your finger on the heatsink to see if it's hot to the touch when the system is on? Do it carefully of course, but if the system is truly running above 70C, the heatsink should be pretty warm. If it's cool to the touch, chances are it's reporting the wrong temperature.

I have yet to touch it while its running, but I did make sure that the pins were pushed through and locked as I had alot of trouble doing that with my Core 2 Duo build I did 4 years ago and I remember saying how stupidly hard they were to seat correctly. Next time I have it running I'll touch the heatsink and yes I know it might be hot, but whats a little burn haha :p. Thanks for all the help guys
 
Yeah, if it's hot enough to burn you, that rules out bad thermal paste application and non-contact with the chip. It won't be hot enough to burn you though. If it were, you would have a thread about your computer catching fire, not about a bad temp report. :p Only real "solution" I can see for your issue would be aftermarket cooling.
 
Yeah, if it's hot enough to burn you, that rules out bad thermal paste application and non-contact with the chip. It won't be hot enough to burn you though. If it were, you would have a thread about your computer catching fire, not about a bad temp report. :p Only real "solution" I can see for your issue would be aftermarket cooling.

Well Artic Silver 5 I guess has a 200 hour cure time on it so by the time my case arrives and everything it should be cured and then I'll touch the heatsink and see how it feels.
 
The heatsink is the problem. Though the single core 3ghz p4 cooler is similar to the core 2 cooler the pentium D has two of those netburst cores inside to cool.

Get a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus for cooling and the new cooler will transfer to most upgrades you could do.
 
Last edited:
The heatsink is the problem. Though the single core 3ghz p4 cooler is similar to the core 2 cooler the pentium D has two of those netburst cores inside to cool.

So you don't think its properly cooling the processor? The big huge heatsink that was on it inside the Dell I got it from wasn't doing a very good job either for it ran at the same temp readings and was fairly warm close to hot to the touch and that was with a 120mm fan blowing on it though the fan was at like 1000rpm.

Do you think the Hyper 212 will transfer to the socket 2011 when it arrives? I'm looking into an ivy bridge processor for next year after I get done working a bunch this summer and don't want to be spending money on stuff that won't work for that setup.
 
I don't think it can do enough to properly cool a Pentium D. Dell uses that large heatsink with that duct and fan cause it is cheap, but they tend not to have the fin density or surface area of a good cooler. Buddy had an HP Pentium D that was always shutting down. An XP 120 did wonders for his.

Since Intel has reused 1156 holes on the 1155, I'd say that the 1366 coolers will be able to work on 2011 sockets. I don't see the CPU physically getting much larger even with extra pins/pads, I think those will just get more slim and tightly packed.
 
I don't think it can do enough to properly cool a Pentium D. Dell uses that large heatsink with that duct and fan cause it is cheap, but they tend not to have the fin density or surface area of a good cooler. Buddy had an HP Pentium D that was always shutting down. An XP 120 did wonders for his.

Since Intel has reused 1156 holes on the 1155, I'd say that the 1366 coolers will be able to work on 2011 sockets. I don't see the CPU physically getting much larger even with extra pins/pads, I think those will just get more slim and tightly packed.

Ok well I might consider buying an aftermarket cooler then. I just fired it up and it topped out at 65 Celcius. Which is a tad above its high.
 
Yes I scrubbed off the old thermal paste and applied the new. I think it might be reading wrong since it will actually run and not shut its self down even at the supposid 72c.. Well thanks for your help I guess ill try speeding up the fan and checking the temp with a volt meter (if mine has a temp monitor on it.

The processor will not shut itself down at 72C. That type of low temp shutdown can only be controlled from the motherboard health options. I don't know if it still applies for the P4 dual cores, but Northwoods would throttle somewhere between 70 and 80C, by dropping clock cycles.

You're probably thinking of #Thermtrip, which is a hardware flag that can not be controlled or disabled by the mainboard, and I think that happens between 95 to 125C on that processor.
 
Back
Top