Pentium D fan with a Celeron E3300?

pdp76

Weaksauce
Seeing how both the Pentium D and Celeron E3300 are LGA 775, I'm guessing the stock Intel fan for the Pentium D should fit on the E3300? I want to do this because the Pentium D fan has the 4th PWM pin that the E3300 fan does not have and I'd like the mobo to be able to decrease/increase the fan speed when needed. Just checking before I buy, thanks!

Should work fine, the Pentium-Ds ran hot and the E3300 runs very cool, so it should be more than enough cooling capacity. You might find the E3300 fan acceptable even without PWM, I believe they run slower than the older Intel LGA775 coolers.

It's fine. The third pin can control the fan speed. I don't know what the 4th pin is for. The mobo has temp sensors and if you turn in the Smart fan option then it'll increase and decrease speed as needed.

keenan, I never though about the cooling capacity you mentioned, maybe the E3300 fan at its single speed might actually be quieter/slower than the Pentium D fan at the the lowest speed.... hmmmm thanks for the heads up...

novadaemon, some motherboards can control the fan speed via the voltage lead but mine unfortunately can't :( it depends on the 4th PWM (pulse width modulation wire) to control the fan so that's why I'm looking for a cheap, preferably stock Intel, fan with 4 pins.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Yea I have an old pentium D fan here which is a goliath in comparison to the celeron heatsinks. I'm doubting the smaller heatsink design is more efficient or anything, so the old heatsink should do the trick.

It's fine. The third pin can control the fan speed. I don't know what the 4th pin is for. The mobo has temp sensors and if you turn in the Smart fan option then it'll increase and decrease speed as needed.

the 4th pin is for PWM fan control.. the 3rd pin is your fan speed reading and the other 2 are your power.. some motherboards use voltage control for the fan speed..

nvm im slow and forgot to read the rest of the thread.. lol

most motherboards though will let you set the fan speed even without the 4th pin.. the only down fall is if it doesnt it stays at full speed 24/7 but from what ive seen at least on AMD's heatsinks thats not always a bad thing since the PWM control will ramp up the fan to 7000rpm's while leaving it running uncontrolled the fan never exceeds 3800rpm's might be the same case with the pentium D fan if people have been complaining about how loud it is..

Back