• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Pentium D Dual core tests

ICE_9

2[H]4U
Joined
Feb 28, 2005
Messages
3,459
I searched and didn't find any exact info on this so I though I would call out the Intel people. Does anyone have any information about using both cores for folding on a Pentium D box. I have seen mention of one running on QMDs and the other on Big WU. How much does it really affect WU processing time when moving from one to two processes? I have the information on HT, but am planning on an upgrade this year to a dual core system. Thanks. :D
 
I would refer you to the processor performance matrix, but there just isn't any reliable data on it with regards to dual-core processors. I think the general consensus is that the AMD dual-core processors are much better than the Intel ones, due to the onboard memory controller and better bandwidth.

 
I have a 3.6 HT P4. I used to run it with a QMD and a Big WU. I was getting 11 PPH on the QMD client. I want to know if their is that big of a difference when adding a Big WU client onto a Dual Core chip running a QMD. Since I have removed the other client, the QMD is moving at 20-23 PPH. It runs cooler, and I can still use the system with no slow downs or issues.
 
Running both QMDs and Big WUs, one on each core, could potentially come at a performance loss. Depending on the proteins being run by each core, they may be bottlenecked by memory bandwidth. Personally, I wouldnt set up a machine to run like that, unless it was a dedicated folder, or something like a dual opteron system where each chip has its own ram and its own memory controller, because it will be slower due to F@H taking up a good deal of memory bandwidth. Intel's upcoming dual 1066mhz fsb's should make running a setup like that on a main rig a good deal more painless as well.

 
Back
Top