Pentium D 930 Question

netbrad

Limp Gawd
Folks, I can get an XPS700 for about $1,300 with a 3.0Ghz Pentium D 930. Is this a decent processor or should I upgrade to say, a 950? I don't need to be "bleeding edge" with Conroe as I don't think I will be able to afford a Conroe-based system when they come out. Also, I do not plan to overclock, I just want a nice gaming system.

are you sure? the only thing you need to upgrade on your dell system is your processor and motherboard. the Processor you can get is the Core 2 Duo E6300 for 183 dollars and an okay motherboard. cheaper than the 950.

If you are not going to overclock then the pentim 930 d is not for you , this is a brill overclocking chip , i advise you to build a system than buying one.

I have overclocked my sons pentiumd 930 and its running cooler than i bought it at , its at 4.15ghz, also if you try buying a system from dell which is Pentim d xtreme at 3.7 ghz you are going to be payiny twice the ammount.From dell you will be paying 2600 dollars.So i think this is the time in your life when overclocking should be given a thought or two.

Overclocking is very easy , buy a asus board and it has this ai booster and its easy as pie. You will get the 930 D to at least 3.9ghz with that tool by just raising the fsb and the Vcore when you need it , or go to the bios and do it from there but that is more advance , also the HSF is very imprtant in all this

Also buy some cheap 667mhz ram or better still the gskill which are the pro RAM , if you can afford some 800mhz ones then buy them because this will make things more easier.

the temp are 31 on idle and 42 after 3 hours of gaming and before at factory settings 43 idle and 56 at gaming.
Overclocking reduces the trafic and to some extent even take the temp down.

Back