• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Pentium D 915 Qestion

Noble Aquarius

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jan 26, 2007
Messages
1,453
hey guys, I had a qestion On a Pentium D 915 i can pick up for $43 shipped.

First qestion Am i paying to much?

2nd does it compare to a amd 4200+ or higher?

I know its not as goos as c2d. but i am working on a tiget budget so it seems like a good price.

what do you guys think?

Thanks Gulkor
 
Eh - its an ok deal - but do you really want to build a hot, obsolete system around it? As far as a drop in - sure.
 
to be honest i have always sold items on here never bought them. so i dont know what kind of cpu i would get for $30-40 on the intel side. on the forum.
 
yeah but can the celeron play wow/cnc3/company of hero's ok?

also it will be with a Evga 8800GTS (G92)
 
Celeron should be able to play those games just fine. Don't expect miracles though, from either chip. Of the two I'd take the Celeron. Those Pentium D's ran hot as balls and didn't perform all that well. The X2 4200+ would be a better gamer compared to the PD.

Or scrounge up $40 more and get a E5200 or E2180.
 
we'll what kind of chip could i get for about $40-50 on the forums. i dont want to seem to ask to low on here.
 
could anybody help me. i have only really sold items on this forum never was the buyer. so if you can help me out.

i am just looking for like a PD 915/930 or E21XX/E4XXX so if you know someone or know how much i should ask for one please give me a idea of the priceing. because i dont want to low ball ppl. i just want ot be fair and get a good deal
 
Dude, go to the For Sale section and look for yourself. I don't think people are going to do that legwork for you. I'm sure you can find a good deal on a 2180 or E4/5xxx chip in there. A lot of people upgraded for xmas. Good luck!
 
ok thanks i was not trying to get anybody to look me i was just trying to see if anybody has seen them that low
 
Yes. You can get a dual-core Core 2-based Celeron for $50 with free shipping from Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116064
For $7 more, it's a much better chip.


It's worse than the Athlon.

I agree. Found this review on NewEgg which ought to answer all the OP's questions:

newegg reviewer said:
Pros: I took a chance on this chip because I wanted to build the cheapest pci-express socket 775 machine I could and upgrade it later. I built it to replace an AGP socket 478 machine running a pentium 2.66Ghz and was shocked when I benchmarked them both with pcmark 2004 and this chip scored a 5289 running at 1.6Ghz and the older Pentium scored a 3413 running at 2.66Ghz

Another chip you could look for that is pretty cheap is the E2160, I have heard of people having success O/Cing the E2160 to over 3Ghz. I have an E2200 that is running a mild overclock at 2.75 using the stock crappy HSF, runs good and cool.
 
now the Celeron E1200 would that hurt my gaming by a ton. for games like Company of hero's/cnc3/wow/cod4 and some other's. would it bottleneck my 8800GTS (G92) by a ton? because i plan on overclocking it. going as high as i can but staying in a good Vcore on it and good temp's.

because my res is 1280x1024 17" lcd yes i know the 8800GTS is overkill but i got it for $50 from my friend so i could not pass it up.

would the cpu bottleneck my 1280x1024 with the 8800GTS or run crappy?
 
Back
Top