Pentium Anniversary Edition for Web

Henri108

Limp Gawd
I would like to play with the Pentium AE and now I have the perfect excuse:

I need a new PC for an elderly person, HDD is failing, PSU is acting up and it's already 9 years old. He does a lot of web browsing and some video watching from time to time. I see he hates waiting for it to start up, so SSD is a certainty already.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Web browsing, picture viewing (no editing), outlook, excel.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
No specific budget, but it's certainly possible under 800 euro's.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Belgium
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, RAM, PSU, Mobo, Case, CD/DVD-reader, SSD, Monitor.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Mouse, keyboard.
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
Needs to be ordered. Probably a 24inch Dell Ultrasharp. 1920x1200
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within a week.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
Onboard video as main video.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, win7 or win8 64 bit. To be decided because it's for an elderly person that is used to win 7.

All help is appreciated!

The cheapest Celeron dual core would be perfectly adequate for those uses, honestly. Especially when paired with an SSD for much faster boot and program loading times.

Here's the BOM for my HTPC I built this past July:

* Celeron G1840 w/factory HSF
* Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
* G.Skill Value 2x4GB DDR3-1333 1.5V
* Rosewill Line-M microATX chassis
* PNY Optima 240GB SSD
* Samsung DVD-RW
* 4x120mm Arctic Cooling PWM (1 front, 1 rear, 2 side panel)
* Corsair CX600
* Win7 Ultimate x64 SP1

I ended up installing an MSI GTX 570 TF2 I had when I upgraded to a 780 so my kids can play games since I set them up with Steam and Origin accounts. Prior to that, the IGP of the Celeron did just fine.

If the Pentium AE is something you feel you absolutely want to get just to play around with, then definitely go for it. Can argue with a budget-priced unlocked processor meant for overclocking!

Is that 800 Euros with monitor?

Honestly, I don't recommend building a computer in this case.

Get a Dell.

I'd get some parts to play with for yourself.
For the elderly web surfer I'd put them in front of a chromebook/box, a tablet, or a Surface 2 Pro ( if they're cheap in your country).

Is that 800 Euros with monitor?

Honestly, I don't recommend building a computer in this case.

Get a Dell.

Normally I would go with a Dell, but now I need this fast and we don't need anything else than this one. Also, whilst they will do anything with the builds if you go with 10 computers like we normally do, they give you a hard time to just change the HDD to an SSD if it's not a normal option.
I searched for a sub-800 euro Dell without GPU and with SSD and didn't find it. Will contact my Dell accountant to see what he thinks.

I always like building stuff and looked like a nice project.
Just checked out some mobo's and it seems strange in my eyes to have a CPU that is less expensive than the mobo it is sitting in... Maybe I'll go with an i5 and go cheaper on the other stuff if there is no Dell for these needs.

I'd get some parts to play with for yourself.
For the elderly web surfer I'd put them in front of a chromebook/box, a tablet, or a Surface 2 Pro ( if they're cheap in your country).

He's really good with win7, but I don't think he would like a tablet of any sort. He starts getting some sight problems (currently I set magnification to 200% which is fine on the 720p 19" monitor), but I want to get him a bigger monitor (24" at 1920x1200 seems perfect).

He cannot use his outlook, word, excel on a chromebook or ios/android tablet so that's a no-go for him anyways (also these screens are tiny for older people imo). If he were into touch I would have gotten him a SP2 as they are indeed fairly cheap (but sold out almost everywhere).

Normally I would go with a Dell, but now I need this fast and we don't need anything else than this one. Also, whilst they will do anything with the builds if you go with 10 computers like we normally do, they give you a hard time to just change the HDD to an SSD if it's not a normal option.
I searched for a sub-800 euro Dell without GPU and with SSD and didn't find it. Will contact my Dell accountant to see what he thinks.

I always like building stuff and looked like a nice project.
Just checked out some mobo's and it seems strange in my eyes to have a CPU that is less expensive than the mobo it is sitting in... Maybe I'll go with an i5 and go cheaper on the other stuff if there is no Dell for these needs.

You can get always get a Dell and pop in your own SSD - it won't affect the warranty at all. Cloning the contents of the included HDD should be easy.

EDIT: Also consider getting a 32" 1080p TV for use as a monitor.

Good choice. See if you can get a good deal on an Ultrasharp with the machine.

Back