Pentium 4 Price Drop - August 22nd

coz

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 11, 2002
Messages
1,664
For anyone thinking about their next P4 purchase, be aware that we're 7 weeks away from some fairly decent price drops across the Prescott and Northwood range. Here's what you can expect......

(1,000 unit quantities)
CPU - Price Jun25/Aug22 (Drop %)

Northwood 3.06/533 - $218/$178 (-18%)
Northwood 3.00/800 - $218/$178 (-18%)
Northwood 3.20/800 - $278/$218 (-22%)
Northwood 3.40/800 - $417/$278 (-33%)

Prescott 2.80/800 - $178/$163 (-8%)
Prescott 3.00/800* - $218/$178 (-18%)
Prescott 3.20/800* - $278/$218 (-22%)
Prescott 3.40/800* - $417/$278 (-33%)
Prescott 3.60/800* - $637/$417 (-35%)
Prescott 3.80/800 - $637 (EM64T version only)

* Available with or without EM64T

The 64-bit enabled Prescotts (Pentium 4 EM64T) will be officially announced on the 2nd of August. Their 1K-unit price is the same as the regular Prescott but the resellers will no doubt add a price premium as they have done with LGA775 Prescotts. Even though the pricing is in 1K-unit quantities, I checked them against current Newegg P4 retail box prices and found that they're very similar.............


CPU - Price 1K-unit/Newegg

Northwood 3.06/533 - $218/$225
Northwood 3.00/800 - $218/$219
Northwood 3.20/800 - $278/$275
Northwood 3.40/800 - $417/$415

This either means the quoted 1K-unit prices are a bit on the generous side or Newegg is selling it's CPUs at cost to make their prices look fantastic across their entire inventory!! So basically you can treat the August 22nd prices as being attainable but with possible price premiums to be added for LGA775 (unlikely) and EM64T (likely to begin with).

So don't go out buying that new high-end P4 just yet, saving are just around the corner. :p
 
Hmm, looks like I might make a 1 GHz upgrade in August from 2.4 to 3.4 Northwood. :D
 
probably planning to purchase the pentium 4 3.4 northwood as soon as it drops for my next system....
 
Lord of Shadows said:
This was up on the inq two months ago, is this more recent? Whats your source?
I was in New Zealand then so it's news to me now! It's probably the same info, originally from Intel's pricing roadmap. Someone asked me about the August 22nd price drops the other day so I thought I'd check it out.

Sorry if it's old news to you. :)
 
hm, now are those presscotts skt T? or skt 478? Also, I take it that EM64T will not be making a debut on the 478 platform?

Also, isnt there some compatability issues with EM64T and Windows XP-64 beta? I heard all the 64-bit compatible Linux kernels didnt work out either.


edit: is the 2.8c out of production now?
 
thanks for the info, i was planning on buying a northwood chip soon, i guess itll have to wait just a little bit more :D
 
wow, I was predicting how much a pc would cost at the end of the summer and my cpu prices were only a few dollars different. anyways this is great news because i have 2 people that want me to build them computers and this will allow me to make more profit:D
 
bountyhunter said:
anyways this is great news because i have 2 people that want me to build them computers and this will allow me to make more profit
Yes, always do your quotes early - a year or two early if possible. :p
 
Only problem is that doom3 comes out august 3rd, and my upgrade wont be untill august 22, + shipping wait. *waves goodbye to day of game release online play goodness*
 
Lord of Shadows said:
Only problem is that doom3 comes out august 3rd, and my upgrade wont be untill august 22, + shipping wait. *waves goodbye to day of game release online play goodness*
What are you running right now then? Remember that you have the right to remain silent if you wish. ;)
 
"Only problem is that doom3 comes out august 3rd, and my upgrade wont be untill august 22, + shipping wait. *waves goodbye to day of game release online play goodness*"

Often vendors will reduce prices ahead of the official date...
 
rayman2k2 said:
hm, now are those presscotts skt T? or skt 478? Also, I take it that EM64T will not be making a debut on the 478 platform?


edit: is the 2.8c out of production now?

1.both(intel will charge the same)
2.no it will not
3.most likely yes
 
Nice, if it actually happens... Maybe by then I'll be ready for a new proc.
 
Hmm..from xbitlabs.com

"Intel said it would ship Prescott processors with 64-bit capability for 1P applications only to system integrators requesting such microprocessors for their servers and workstations . Although all Prescott CPUs, including Intel Pentium 4 and Celeron, are 64-bit from micro-architectural standpoint, processors supplying for retail channels as well as for typical desktops will have their 64-bit capability disabled. However, some sources doubt that it will be absolutely impossible for end-users and hardware enthusiasts to get Intel’s 64-bit Pentium 4 chips. They suggest that there will be some of such microprocessors supplied as OEM parts and reaching the channel "

Does that mean we will not be able to buy "Retail" any 64-bit CPU's for quite a while?
 
Back
Top