• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Pentium 4 M's and folding?

Z

Zinn

Guest
I just got a laptop from work. It's 2.2 ghz Pentium M, and started the Folding@Home on it. Does anyone know anything about Pentium Ms and if they're decent number crunchers. Also, is 71 C to hot for one of these? That's what it's loading at.

Thanks for the thoughts.

 
Folding at >70C I think is bad. I would be nervous above 60C.

I fold on a 1.5GHz Pentium and it works fine. The laptop fan spools up when the it get's above 60C and turns off when it gets it down to 50C. So I use a fan control program to keep the CPU fan always on low speed (I hate the speed changes).

The name of the program which is specific to Dell laptops is I8kfanGUI. It works fine if you have a Dell laptop.
 
The temp is high. If you can't figure out how to run the fan at say medium all the time, then it is best to use the console version and set folding to use only 60-80% processor. Play around with it until you get a temp around 60 degrees celcius. Also make sure that you have the bottom propped up some, so get good airflow.

Edit: Pentium Ms are very good number crunchers. Pentium 4 mobiles though are just as good as their desktop counterparts.

Folding doesn't discriminate and would love to find a home on your laptop! :)
 
Back
Top