Pentium 4 Mobile issues

elm669

2[H]4U
I have Pentium 4 Mobile processor and a Soyo SY-P4I865PE Plus Dragon 2 V1.0. I get everything set up and turn it on and it's says the normal Pentium 4 Mobile 1.60ghz. Then I go and install windows and pull up cpu-z and it says it's running at 1.2ghz! :confused: I check the multi and it's set at 12X. According to the specs: http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL5YU it's a 100fsb chip with a 16X multi when I try to oc it to 122fsb I get 122X12 = 1464mhz instead of 1952mhz which is not cool :mad: I can't adjust the multi in the bios and I've tried some windows programs to oc and change the multi and they do nothing. Is there a way to get this chip to run normally on my board? :confused:

If it is detecting the wrong Multiplier, then look on soyo's site, see if they have a bios update that adds support for some mobile chips.

As I understand it, all mobile processors default to the speedstep multi on desktop boards.

Unless there is something special about this board that I'm not aware of, that is what you're gonna get.

Sounds normal to me... Try running a CPU intensive program while checking your Mhz speed.

A Pentium M Dothan 1.6 to 2.0 Ghz spends most of its time clocked at 600Mhz, when an active application is running it will clock-up and volt-up to the rated speed of the chip. When its idle, it clocks back down to 600mhz.

The chipset, motherboard and BIOS need to support the mobile processor for speedstep to work.

Go to device manager, see if Windows reports it as a P4 Mobile processor.

Also, google speedswitchxp, see if that will allow you to set the higher multi.

0ldman said:
The chipset, motherboard and BIOS need to support the mobile processor for speedstep to work.

Go to device manager, see if Windows reports it as a P4 Mobile processor.

Also, google speedswitchxp, see if that will allow you to set the higher multi.

Windows reports it as a mobile processor

speed switch xp reports the processor as: Intel Pentium 4 Mobile 1.60ghz but under detect max speed it says 1197mhz and none of the controls speed it up more.

The bios is dated 9-10-04 I'm going to update it to the newest revision 9-17-04 to see if that helps

About the speed under cpu bench 2003 it's running slower than a P4 willamette 1.5ghz so no scaling is going on.

Also got a pic of the speeds and other info :
screenshot.jpg

Back