Pentium 4 520 safe temperatures?

Sojuuk

2[H]4U
An older computer I built is beginning to beep at me under load and I checked the temps. 83c! And that's before I stopped IBT. I was just wondering what the safe temperature range was for an older pentium.

It's the 90nm LGA775 model 2.8ghz with Hyperthreading. On stock heatsink. I just ordered a Xigmatech 4 heatpipe for it but I am still wondering what the safe temps are.

please halp!

Just make sure the heatsink is dust free and apply a new layer of thermal paste, i see no need for a new heatsink.

Last edited:
Just make sure the heatsink is dust free and apply a new layer of thermal paste, i see no need for a new heatsink.

no thermal paste lying around so this is just easier. I did clean off all the dust and it didn't help at all. Does the stock thermal paste on intel's stock coolers go bad?

Well its not so much that it goes bad, its just bad from the start really. But for the most time it makes due until a system gets coated in a layer of dust etc

Check the push pins. I bet one of them came loose. If the heat sink and fan is dust free and all 4 push pins are properly seated then it should not be overheating.

Yea, if you're using the stock cooler it's much more likely that one of the pins popped and you're not seated properly anymore. If this is the case, though, you really should remove the whole thing, clean off the old paste and apply some new stuff. Just re-seating the cooler when a pin pops will probably get rid of the over-heat but it's gonna run hotter than it should without some new paste since the old seal has been broken.

I'm writing this reply on a machine with a P4-530 in it and it never tops 64C under load... just for example.

Yea, if you're using the stock cooler it's much more likely that one of the pins popped and you're not seated properly anymore. If this is the case, though, you really should remove the whole thing, clean off the old paste and apply some new stuff. Just re-seating the cooler when a pin pops will probably get rid of the over-heat but it's gonna run hotter than it should without some new paste since the old seal has been broken.

I'm writing this reply on a machine with a P4-530 in it and it never tops 64C under load... just for example.

I had not even considered the pin thing. Turns out my grandfather had really fucked up the black locking pins and they don't lock very well anymore. So a new heatsink is required. Did get 3 of the 4 pins to lock back down and it idles at 60c now so thats better than idling at 75c.

It's definitely "better" but, I wouldn't even be using that system again until you get another heatsink put on good and solid.

It's definitely "better" but, I wouldn't even be using that system again until you get another heatsink put on good and solid.

I suggested the same thing. But it's been like this for months :eek:. A few more days until the new one gets here wont be terrible for it. All it does it internet and word processing. also it's 5 years old so it could have been like this for much longer than months.

Back