Pentax k100d or Nikon d40?

gixser

Weaksauce
Potential new dSLR user here. I've driven myself a bit insane going back and forth between these two. I like the cheaper Pentax with its image stabilization and af motor drive in body. I also like the price.

But, I want decent low light performance and I don't like the WB issues of the Pentax. The Nikon seems to have a faster lens as part of the kit but no IS or motor. Still, it does have a better continuous mode which I think I will use a fair amount. I intend to shoot a lot of social events. (Lots of dancing at my house.)

Availability is an issue. I would like to have it tomorrow. If anyone knows of a local to me (Berkeley, CA) store that has internet close pricing, I would love to hear it.

Any insights?

As far as I can tell, image stabilization tends to be a real issue on the longer focal length lenses, like the 55-200mm lenses and beyond. Therefore, if you're getting the Nikon D40 (which is what I'm aiming to get), look at the lenses with "VR" or "VR II" in the model name.

I'm sure Joves will be along to back me up on Nikon or tell me I have my head up my ass. :)

As far as the AF motor being in the camera... Not a big deal since all newer lenses have the motor in the lens, like Nikon's AF-S system.

I just did a bunch of research on entry-level DSLRs to help my parents pick one out. We went with the D40x, which is basically the same thing as the D40 but has a 10 mp resolution. Another one to look at, in case you're not set on either of these, is the Canon EOS 400D / Digital Rebel XTi. Its feature set is slightly better than the two you listed, but also costs more.

Between those two, I'd say go with the D40 :) But before you buy, check out dpreview.com and see if there is anything about either that would bug you afterwards.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk100d/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40x/

Edit: Doh, just realized this was posted on 8-24. So what did you buy? :)

I just did a bunch of research on entry-level DSLRs to help my parents pick one out. We went with the D40x, which is basically the same thing as the D40 but has a 10 mp resolution. Another one to look at, in case you're not set on either of these, is the Canon EOS 400D / Digital Rebel XTi. Its feature set is slightly better than the two you listed, but also costs more.

Between those two, I'd say go with the D40 :) But before you buy, check out dpreview.com and see if there is anything about either that would bug you afterwards.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk100d/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond40x/

Edit: Doh, just realized this was posted on 8-24. So what did you buy? :)

The D40x is the same as the D40 with a higher MP rating, but there are a few detractors, like a lower fps on the rapid shot. Also, the overall size of the shot isn't actually that much different. Even the Nikonians think that the D40x isn't worth the difference in price from the D40.

According to the dpreview specs, the D40x is 3 FPS but the D40 is 2.5 FPS in continuous shooting mode. Are they in error?

With respect to 10 vs. 6 mp, I agree. I told my parents that the D40 is basically the same thing (save these few differences, another being flash x-sync which does favor the D40), but my Mom was set on "more mega pixels." Who am I to argue with authority? :)

According to the dpreview specs, the D40x is 3 FPS but the D40 is 2.5 FPS in continuous shooting mode. Are they in error?

With respect to 10 vs. 6 mp, I agree. I told my parents that the D40 is basically the same thing (save these few differences, another being flash x-sync which does favor the D40), but my Mom was set on "more mega pixels." Who am I to argue with authority? :)

Ah, sorry, my brain reversed the fps and the flash sync rate. LOL

I was in a similar situation a couple of months ago, trying to find the right entry-level dSLR. I ultimately went with the D40 and couldn't be happier. It takes gorgeous pictures and the extra 4MP the D40x has is marginal at best. And its easy enough for the wife to use.

Retail stores markup the D40 a little too much for me. You can find a great internet deal and package for less, that's what I did. I got a nice deal from a butterfly photo Promo that included the D40 package, travel bag (a good one too), 3 UV lens caps, some beginners book, cloth, and a 1Gb SD card-- all for $525.00.

As far as I can tell, image stabilization tends to be a real issue on the longer focal length lenses, like the 55-200mm lenses and beyond. Therefore, if you're getting the Nikon D40 (which is what I'm aiming to get), look at the lenses with "VR" or "VR II" in the model name.

I'm sure Joves will be along to back me up on Nikon or tell me I have my head up my ass. :)

As far as the AF motor being in the camera... Not a big deal since all newer lenses have the motor in the lens, like Nikon's AF-S system.
LOL! Yeah I will back you up on that. OK for image stabilization you can get the Nikor 70-200mm VR lense. My suggestion is google your local stores for any with internet sites and, get your prices that way, here is the dex link http://www.dexknows.com . Im afraid you wont see many local retailers who will be at internet pricing but, you may find one close. Also Staples carries the D40. My suggestion is to go to the store and, hold both cameras in your hands and, see which feels best.
On the D40 you will be limited to AF-S and, AF-I lenses. BUT! there are quite a few to choose from and, some really good deals on older AF-I lenses too, of which there are some nice ones out there. Also Tamron, Sima and, Tokina make lenses for it as, well. Hope this helps.

I'm rather happy with my Pentax K10D, but I used to have a K100D and I wasn't really that satisfied with it. Kind of cheap and plasticy. It's a lot easier to find good lenses for Nikon than it is for Pentax, but Sigmas and Tamrons are available for both, and usually give better bang for the buck than Nikkor ones anyway.

No they are correct but, if you use say the Sandisk Extreme III it does seem to write much faster and, clear out the buffer faster. I have a Lexar and, it will keep my FPS right at 2.5 on my D50 but, seems to go 3 before slowing down. I did my own little experiment with it.

For an entry level camera, it's hard to beat the price and quality of the K100D with the kit lens which is better than most kit lenses. The only downfall I have is the Auto - White balance tends to be off on indoor and night lighting. But if you're a real photographer, you'll set it manually anyway. I think BeachCamera has it for under $500 with a rebate.

Back