Penn State Tells 80,000 Students To Dump IE

Ice Czar

Inscrutable
http://www.informationweek.com/story/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55301109

" A public university with an enrollment of over 80,000 put the kibosh this week on Microsoft's Internet Explorer, and urged its students to switch to alternative browsers such as Firefox, Mozilla, Opera, or Safari.

Penn State University on Wednesday issued an alert to students and staff recommending that they dump IE and use a different browser.

The university's Information Technology Services (ITS) gave the advice "because the threats are real and alternatives exist to mitigate Web browser vulnerabilities," ITS said in a statement. It cited the security problems in IE that have been the focus of both media reports and recommendations from such organizations as the US-CERT, the federally-funded computer response team housed at Carnegie Mellon University.

likely the work of mosin :p

I would do that to at work, but a lot of ERP systems only work with IE.....

Now I wonder if their will be a surge of firefox exploits. I don't think there will be, but I'm curious.

Oh, and darktiger, I recently had the pleasure of telling one of our long time vendors that we will be choosing a competitor's solution due to their dependance on IE. It warmed my heart to let them know that because of that bone headed decision, they will be loosing out on 10s of thousands of dollars in sales and support. I hope you get the same chance some day. It's very liberating. ;)

XOR != OR said:
Now I wonder if their will be a surge of firefox exploits. I don't think there will be, but I'm curious.

Oh, and darktiger, I recently had the pleasure of telling one of our long time vendors that we will be choosing a competitor's solution due to their dependance on IE. It warmed my heart to let them know that because of that bone headed decision, they will be loosing out on 10s of thousands of dollars in sales and support. I hope you get the same chance some day. It's very liberating. ;)

It's sad because that vendor is probably thinking "What else is there besides IE??"

XOR != OR said:

Can't blame them for their dependance on IE considering it use to have about 95% of the browser market and has just dipped recently to about 85%. We can complain all we want about windows and it's problems, but I think it's better to have almost everyone using the same software then having to know how to use, let alone support, hundreds of different operating systems.

having used a good dozen browsers
functionally they are pretty much the same in the basics
as far as having a standard, you can see the result in IE
its a focus for malware, IE has 2 great flaws in my mind
its shell integration, and Microsoft's insistence on ActiveX

Good, IE sucks. Do they not know that mozilla and firefox are one in the same?

darktiger said:
I would do that to at work, but a lot of ERP systems only work with IE.....

I feel your pain :(

and XOR.....You suck. I want to be able to tell our venders that. :p

naw, I bumped this because mosin missed it the first time :p

and as a caution to any still using IE
I reserve my "total post coverage" for the PSU forum :p

pistola said:
Good, IE sucks. Do they not know that mozilla and firefox are one in the same?

No, but neither do you. Firefox and the Mozilla Suite are two different products. No, Firefox is not just a standalone version of the Mozilla Suite's browser.

i love firefox but i cant help but have to use ie when it comes to streaming alot of windows media so for how great it is im just at a loss to figure out how ie cant possibly lose ground on the majority of the market as so many ppl hope it will.

Terpfen said:
No, but neither do you. Firefox and the Mozilla Suite are two different products. No, Firefox is not just a standalone version of the Mozilla Suite's browser.

Well they're not specific now are they, they said mozilla not mozilla suite, therefore I assume they speak of the company. Bite me.

Ice Czar said:
naw, I bumped this because mosin missed it the first time :p

and as a caution to any still using IE
I reserve my "total post coverage" for the PSU forum :p
Sometimes a mountain has to fall on my head for me to get the drift, except when it comes to using Firefox. :D

Penn State is famous for their higher academic standards. I'm just happy that I could help set a trend for them. Harvard is next. ;)

Tomorrow's headline...

EXTRA! EXTRA!
REDNECK TEACHS IVY LEAGUE
ABOUT PROPER WEB BROWSER

guess we should assume that the student bodies of MIT and Stanford are already bright enough to actually know not to use IE

but your right, those damn Ivy League wannabe investment bankers
likely need a mosin autographed clue by four :p

Yep, but I'm not the only shit kicker around here that could show them fancy pants guys a thing or two...square between the eyes. ;)

Yep, I'll give it to Penn State for making the recommendation like they did, but I'm sure that the majority of students (AND faculty/staff) won't switch. There are enough people around here that probably don't know that anything other than Windows/IE exist, and now that they have been informed that there is, they'll still probably just stick with what they have, since doing nothing is easier than any kind of change.

/been using Firefox for a few months now, can't complain
//keeps IE (and the IEView extension) around for some things
///still using Outlook, though :p
////Can you tell I read Fark??
/////too many slashes now...

You know what? This is a damned good thread. :)

Anyway, I believe that they will switch. Major change takes time, but it's like the guy said, "Build a better mousetrap, and the world will beat a path to your door."

Back