Peltiers: anyone use anymore?

Napoleon

[H]ard|Gawd
I have always wanted to play with them, but am not sure if I'd have to make a custom water block to do it.

With performance where it's at, I doubt it would buy me much more performance; at this point it would be about the 'fun' factor. It seems like most CPUs get pretty close to their maxes on air or AIO cooling now...

How possible would it be to use peltiers for daily use? I'm not sure how long they last and when they fail, if they just stop conducting heat and then your stuff overheads.

At this point I'm dual loop ( standard loop, passive loop with radiators in 55 gallon drum of water), triple loop would be a bit silly(ier) so a peltier on the CPU block would be ideal.

Thanks for the feedback! No matter how old I get, I still like mix/match or make my some of my own cooling system.

To remove x' heat it needs y energy creating x'+y' heat.
Not really efficient.
As bad as that sounds, its actually a lot worse!

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/peltier.htm
Peltier elements have very low efficiency. They will consume more power than they transport! Actual peltier elements may consume twice as much energy (in the form of electricity) as they transport (in the form of heat). So, if you are using a peltier element, the heatsink it is used with must be much more powerful than a heatsink used for cooling a heat source without peltier element.

Suddenly your water cooler needs to cope with 3 times the heat and you need a big ass mofo peltier!
If the cooler cant handle the heat, your expensive peltier will melt.
Your CPU wont be too happy either.

To remove x' heat it needs y energy creating x'+y' heat.
Not really efficient.
As bad as that sounds, its actually a lot worse!

http://www.heatsink-guide.com/peltier.htm

Suddenly your water cooler needs to cope with 3 times the heat and you need a big ass mofo peltier!
If the cooler cant handle the heat, your expensive peltier will melt.
Your CPU wont be too happy either.
I get how they work, they were just always kind of 'out of reach' when I was younger, now I can supply and cool it if I want to. It seems like a lot of effort for the reward; like you said, quite inefficient. But we aren't hardware enthusiasts because it makes sense...are we? :)

I may just take some fun videos of me dumping buckets of ice into my passive cooling tank and benching from there haha

Read that article, it has 4 pages which explain many pitfalls and solutions.
Oh and good luck lol.

I get how they work, they were just always kind of 'out of reach' when I was younger, now I can supply and cool it if I want to. It seems like a lot of effort for the reward; like you said, quite inefficient. But we aren't hardware enthusiasts because it makes sense...are we? :)

I may just take some fun videos of me dumping buckets of ice into my passive cooling tank and benching from there haha

wouldn't it be easier to buy a water chiller?

hc500a-300x400.jpg

https://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cooling/2010/07/20/hailea-hc-500a-water-chiller-review/7

if we're talking about tech from the "past" and dealing with condensation problems around the cpu :D

still pricy though

I always enjoyed peltier prjocts as well. An old long gone site (Sysopsolutions I believe) had to put a conformal coating on a slot1 celeron to keep the frost from causing problems. What I remember was some awesome results. Pretty sure I still have pics of that rig on a CD somewhere I might have to dig up for memories sake. Not so sure how about using them today as an everyday machine though.

If you get something up and going, be sure to post!!! Good Luck! :) Just watch out for condensation if you end up chucking ice in your res! hehe

I always enjoyed peltier prjocts as well. An old long gone site (Sysopsolutions I believe) had to put a conformal coating on a slot1 celeron to keep the frost from causing problems. What I remember was some awesome results. Pretty sure I still have pics of that rig on a CD somewhere I might have to dig up for memories sake. Not so sure how about using them today as an everyday machine though.

If you get something up and going, be sure to post!!! Good Luck! :) Just watch out for condensation if you end up chucking ice in your res! hehe
Yea, it seems like anything past high end water isn't really feasible for daily use. I live in Denver so the low humidity should help avoiding condensation, I'll keep an eye out, though :)

The last time I messed with a pelter cooler was when I had one on an old ATI card that you could mod with number 2 pencils to increase the voltage! HAHA those were good times. That was when O/Cing was fun. IMO these days Custom W/Cing is even to much these days. AIO + single GPU is what I would call the perfect setup :)

If you're going this far you might as well go with the total immersion solutions. Back in the day I remember seeing mineral oil as the cheap way to do it with 3M's Flourinert being the high end solution, which I believe has largely been supplanted by 3M's Novec these days.

Yeah the cooling scene used to be a lot more extreme.

You sure about that?

:)

Quite sure. You posted a professionally produced video made with the resources of a large corporation for marketing purposes. In the days of old it was individuals using stuff like peltiers, LN2, and total submersion when nobody else was doing it. Wild West type stuff. This is more like NASA doing it.

There is the "Phononic HEX 2.0 TEC". Seems to have zero redeeming qualities; not sure why they bothered to manufacture it instead of going back to the drawing board.

Back