Peltier? read

jcll2002

2[H]4U
I was thinking about going peltier because I'm just not getting the temps that I thought I would with watercooling. Using the swiftech apex ultra kit (and a gpu waterblock) I'm getting load temps (4hrs) of 43c using ceramique, 1.475v bios 2900mhz opty 165. BTW ambient temps are like 20-21c

So, I was thinking about going peltier, but I really dont want to have to mess with condensation or insulation. Is there any feasible way of doing this like getting a lower wattage pad so temps are relatively ambient?

Also, how would I add the pad onto the apogee?

Thirdly, can my PSU even handle a peltier pad using the rig in my sig?

6 fans (including chipset)
1 sata hd
OCed 7950gt
OCed opty 165
2gb ddr 500 OCed
dfi ultra d
Swiftech mp655 (i think) pump
dvd+-rw
sound card pci
tv tuner pcie x1
wireless networking pci

antec truepower 550 w

TIA

I felt you like you some years ago, thinking about going peltier 'cos of disatisfactory temps, then I made one good move and bought a full sized car radiator for £10 from my local scrapyard which sits outside my case. With only cool air going through it and massive surface area I have amazingly good temps and near silence since I can run the fans on it really quietly and still get top performance.

Having even a decent sized radiator inside a hot PC case doesn't do a system much justice frankly. So first consider moving that rad outside your case and/or upgrade it to something ridiculous.

Whats your current water temperature? I like the idea of a huge radiator and low flow but the best one can hope for is ambient temperature water. As soon as you drop the temp below ambient you will get condensation.

no idea what the water temp is. idling, im @ 30c and shoots up to 36 every few seconds (using smartguardian).

the delta fans that came with the kit are on pretty low because they click and annoy the shit out of me. 7v

I was just saying that the best the big rad will do is lower the temp to ambient. So, if your current water is 28 degrees in a 20 degree room, a bigger rad can make it a lot cooler.

I was looking for a chiller of some kind to lower water temps to ambient but thats a messy deal it seems. Dell has it in their new Gaming rig. Looks like a lot of trouble to me.

I was just saying that the best the big rad will do is lower the temp to ambient. So, if your current water is 28 degrees in a 20 degree room, a bigger rad can make it a lot cooler.

I was looking for a chiller of some kind to lower water temps to ambient but thats a messy deal it seems. Dell has it in their new Gaming rig. Looks like a lot of trouble to me.

would turning up the fans really make a difference?

also, what kind of temp difference can i see from adding a 72watt pad?

I think you need to be asking about pelts in the extreme cooling forum. That being said, I'll share a little of what I know. From what I understand you want to basically double your pelt wattage according to how much thermal wattage you have from what your cooling. So for a cpu that puts out 100w of heat you'd want a 200w pelt, at minimum. Also, a pelt puts a LOT of heat into a wc loop. I was looking at doing a pelt setup also. I did a lot of research and decided that it was gonna be too much hassle for the payoff. Do some reading and decide for yourself if it's gonna be worthwhile for you.

I think you need to be asking about pelts in the extreme cooling forum. That being said, I'll share a little of what I know. From what I understand you want to basically double your pelt wattage according to how much thermal wattage you have from what your cooling. So for a cpu that puts out 100w of heat you'd want a 200w pelt, at minimum. Also, a pelt puts a LOT of heat into a wc loop. I was looking at doing a pelt setup also. I did a lot of research and decided that it was gonna be too much hassle for the payoff. Do some reading and decide for yourself if it's gonna be worthwhile for you.

yeah thats what ive found after alittle more research also.

What other way could i see an improvement in temps?

yeah thats what ive found after alittle more research also.

What other way could i see an improvement in temps?

Well...I just spent a bunch of money on a new case, block and triple rad. Should be here early next week. Hoping that will bring mine down. :D

Back