pelt?

Derrick70

Limp Gawd
what kind of pelt for a uncapped 3800= X2? im not looking for super cool temps just a lil some thing Xtra im using an AC XT for a water block in the cpu now and getting ready to fire the rig up to see what it can do and i came up with this idea. any help is great the cpu loop is a 120mm rad with about 1.5ft of 3/8id tubing in the loop.

There is no point in just wanting a little with a pelt. You either want it all, or none. They require lots of power, and lots of heat disapation. Since you are using water cooling, you have two choices, direct die cooling, or water chilling. Direct Die cooling can cause condensation when using a water cooled rig, therefore you must grease, and seal everything around the CPU otherwise snap crackle smoke.

I haven't seen too many water chillers, as they only achieve a few degrees usually, and still require a lot of power, and the chance of condensation.

However, if you are willing to deal with it all, and go all the way, you can easily achieve a great OC, and sub zero temps.

you can't do it with that block, that pump or that rad.

the block: the XT only cools the central area effectively. a pelt has a large area with an even heat load. with that block the central area of the pelt will be too warm and the edges of the pelt will be just plain dangerous.

that pump: while the eheim 1046/1048 is a good pump for quiet cooling, and deals effectively with the heat of a proc that normally runs around 90 watts stock and will probably put out around 110-115 watts OC'd, it's not enough for a pelt rig. to get even a moderate reduction in load temps, you looking at dealing with the heat of a 226 watt pelt in addition to the load from the proc itself. a 226 is only netting me around 18 C load, OC'd, with the fans dialed down quiet, so it's firmly in the catagory of "a little extra cooling." in spite of the misleading wattage rating.

of course, if i run stock, i load at -14 C, but where's the fun in that? :D

the rad: i run 2 BIX2 rads to keep my pelt loop running cool with reasonable noise levels. my own experience is that a single 120.2 can do the job, for CPU pelt and GPU water, but is a bit loud. a single 120mm for a single CPU pelt is probably not enough to do it quietly.

additional consideration: the added weight of the pelt and especially the cold plate would not be very safe to run on a bare A64. i ran my pelt on my old XP, however it wasn't exactly safe, and those cores were built to run bare.

the addition of insulation and waterproof coating would mess up the looks of your build anyway. i'm sure that it's possible to build a pretty pelt setup, but i have yet to see one online.

i usually focus on how much pelt costs and how little it gets you, but the way you clean out sharka it's pretty obvious that you're not hurting for bucks.

ya i was thinking the same thing a bout the XT on a pelt but i thought i would ask. noise is very imprtant to me. i wanna hear a mouse fart rather than a humming. it was just an idea i thought of while i was building the rig and I thought i may be able add it. and Daishi sharka cleans me out but i know if it wasent for TN and my self sharka would have folded a long time ago lol

Back