Peices of Charlotte

[nCn]Preacher

Supreme [H]ardness
Since this forum is soooo slow and there is very little posting going on, I'll indulge my proclivity to take odd pictures and post them up for public ridicule.

This is the building I work in. This shot is the only part of the building that doesn't suck.

IMG_7676.jpg

This is the Bus Barn for the Charlotte Area Transit System. Also an ugly building, but I liked the straight lines of the side against the sweeping curve of the roof and I liked the colors.

IMG_7713.jpg

Those are some nice photos.

Say, I'm considering moving to Charlotte. I wondered how it was as far as cultural diversity? Also how's the weather during the winter? Where is the 'bad' part of town? And is the job market good?

Cultural Diversity? Hmm.... interesting question. I am afraid that I am completely and blissfully unaware of anything having to do with diversity as I am of the opinion that the diversity movement is more about exclusion than it is inclusion. Don't go by me, though, you would be better served by checking out the Chamber of Commerce website. I know there are a couple of Black culture museums and more festivals etc than you can shake a stick at.

The winter weather is mild. We have the occasional show storm (a foot or so, max) and the twice a decade serious ice storm. Most of the time it is just wet and cold, nothing like the northeast and not as nice as Florida. We do have 4 seasons unlike both of those places.

The "bad" parts of town are east, for the most part, towards Belmont, and some areas south of downtown.

The job market is a wide topic. What area? They are building apartment complezes by the dozens because so many people are moving here, so I am gonna guess that the market is pretty good.

[nCn]Preacher said:
The "bad" parts of town are east, for the most part, towards Belmont, and some areas south of downtown.

I think you meant to say west, like the Freedom/Tuckaseegee and along Wilkinson(SP?) Blvd. There are some other seedy areas, most of them along I85 south of Harris Blvd.

If you're moving here, definately check out the area for yourself. Some of the areas may seem ok but then you go a couple of blocks over and your checking over your shoulder every 30 secs.

SouthPaw72 said:
I think you meant to say west, like the Freedom/Tuckaseegee and along Wilkinson(SP?) Blvd. There are some other seedy areas, most of them along I85 south of Harris Blvd.

If you're moving here, definately check out the area for yourself. Some of the areas may seem ok but then you go a couple of blocks over and your checking over your shoulder every 30 secs.

You are absolutely right, I meant west.

Your post inspired me to post some of my charlotte pics... nothing 'great'. Just some fun shots.

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0083.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

I couldn't resist this shot...
DSC_0084.jpg

4 or 5 of those pics I could have taken myself... in fact, with a couple of angle changes, your pics and the ones I took could be a perfect match!

It was a gorgeous day to shoot some pictures, but I was mostly stuck inside. Managed to snap this on the way to lunch.

I think this shot suffers greatly from being reduced to 800 high, but I like it enough that I'm gonna post it anyway. The taxi at the bottom of the picture makes it look like a very detailed miniature.

Uptown.jpg

I love that shot. The angles really set it off for me. If I lived/worked closer to downtown I think I'd be out there any day I could to get some shots. I used to do a lot of work for HP in the BB&T, BoA, Gateway Village, and Independence Hall buildings. I enjoyed working down there. Now I work out in Mooresville, live in Harrisburg. So I have a 1hr commute to/from each day. Not much to shoot around Mooresville. Cept maybe the cows.

MrS cMoS DoS,
I have a few other pictures as well... would you like to see? :p :D :eek:

cmosdos said:
I love that shot. The angles really set it off for me. If I lived/worked closer to downtown I think I'd be out there any day I could to get some shots. I used to do a lot of work for HP in the BB&T, BoA, Gateway Village, and Independence Hall buildings. I enjoyed working down there. Now I work out in Mooresville, live in Harrisburg. So I have a 1hr commute to/from each day. Not much to shoot around Mooresville. Cept maybe the cows.

MrS cMoS DoS,
I have a few other pictures as well... would you like to see? :p :D :eek:

I know what you mean, on a nice day, it is a sweet skyline. I am completely in love with the new Hearst Tower. I have been wanting to get a twilight, stormy night shot and convert it to B&W, do a Batman theme with it. It is sooooo Gotham :D

Back