• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

PCP&C - Where do they stand now?

Shabby610

Gawd
Joined
Apr 29, 2002
Messages
532
I've been out of the power supply loop for a few years now. PCP&C used to be untouchable when it came to power supplies; superior build quality, high-amperage single rail design, superior specs in literally all measurable areas. Now I see they have been bought out by OCZ or something, and that made me cringe, and that companies like Corsair are heavily favored in the power supply world nowadays.

When I like to buy components, I usually tend on saving money and buying top-tier parts...I just hate skimping on electronics. Who would you guys say is the current day PCP&C? Are they still lightyears above everyone else, or has the OCZ acquisition watered down their products? I'd really like a serious answer from someone who has owned past PCP&C products and understands where I'm coming from, but obviously I appreciate anybody's input.

Thanks.

J
 
I've been out of the power supply loop for a few years now. PCP&C used to be untouchable when it came to power supplies; superior build quality, high-amperage single rail design, superior specs in literally all measurable areas. Now I see they have been bought out by OCZ or something, and that made me cringe, and that companies like Corsair are heavily favored in the power supply world nowadays.

When I like to buy components, I usually tend on saving money and buying top-tier parts...I just hate skimping on electronics. Who would you guys say is the current day PCP&C? Are they still lightyears above everyone else, or has the OCZ acquisition watered down their products? I'd really like a serious answer from someone who has owned past PCP&C products and understands where I'm coming from, but obviously I appreciate anybody's input.

It depends on the model. The Silencer MkII line is merely OK-ish, and no better than the better of the OCZ-branded PSUs. The relatively disappointing reviews of the Sirfa-made Silencer MkII line resulted in PCP&C going back to Seasonic for its recently-introduced Silencer 760W.

Speaking of the new Silencer 760, it's a very good PSU, but pricier than most of the other 750W (as well as some of the 850W) PSUs that are of equal quality.
 
Last edited:
Seasonic is widely regarded as one of the top OEM nowadays. Their power supplies are sold under their own name, Corsair, XFX, and several others.
 
Who would you guys say is the current day PCP&C?
There is no current-day PCP&C. There are quite a few brands nowadays that sell very high quality PSUs, to the point where there's no clear winner. Good brands to look out for: Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, XFX, Kingwin, Sparkle, Enermax, Silverstone, and Thortech.
 
I never had one but according to this review their still great.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/arti...lencer-Mk-II-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/1222/1

I know what your talking about though when i started in this hobby in socket a days it was the baddest psu available nothing matched it. Just seems like more companies have joined to make great quality.

They basically just used an older generation Seasonic model, how does that make them still "great"? That certain Seasonic model has already been outdone by Seasonics newer models. And I see in typical PCP&C fashion that they have made it even worse by putting in hardwires and a rear 80mm fan. That's PCP&C (or OCZ, whatever you want to call them) for you. This would have been a good psu in 2009.
 
They basically just used an older generation Seasonic model, how does that make them still "great"? That certain Seasonic model has already been outdone by Seasonics newer models. And I see in typical PCP&C fashion that they have made it even worse by putting in hardwires and a rear 80mm fan. That's PCP&C (or OCZ, whatever you want to call them) for you. This would have been a good psu in 2009.

You may be correct. That Silencer 760 is still based on the same old Seasonic platform as the now-discontinued Silencer 750 Quad. And since newer Seasonic models have surpassed that unit for quality, that makes the PCP&C PSU rather expensive for its performance and quality.
 
by all means, i think pcpnp missed the trend or refused the trend of the era where psu were growing... for instance when they refuse to integrate modular design, old school conventional looking, 80mm fans etc...
i owned the original 750w red, and overall it has been very good on me, however I do like 140mm fan+modular better, although I know non modular has lower resistance and etc

I think nowaday its not only about brand, but more about the solution the actual product is based on/.
 
The Antec HCP series still use the 80mm fan designs.

In the days of [H] and Jonnyguru testing, it's all about performance of a unit, brand/OEM does not affect decisions regarding performance in any way.
 
The Antec HCP series still use the 80mm fan designs.
Only the HCP-1200 does, and the difference is that the HCP-1200 is specifically designed to use an 80mm fan, whereas PCP&C's products are units designed to use 120mm fans except modified with different heatsinks and an 80mm fan shoehorned into the casing.
 
Back
Top