PCP&C Exploded..

jen4950

[H]F Junkie
Well crap.

PCP&C PSU died Sunday night when I cranked the machine up after being off for 4 days over the vacation. Exploded on startup.

Luckily I am within the 5 year warranty, so I will be RMA'ing after my new one comes in (I'm at work right now..) - Replacing it with a 750 version w/ Quad Video Card connectors-

First PSU to actually explode- should I be expecting the worst in that it took other stuff with it? Or does a PSU failure limit it'sself to the PSU? It seems to me if a cap explodes in the PSU, it can't send voltage out into the system anymore and so it shouldn't hurt anything upon failure..

Any experiences otherwise?

cheap power supplies will take other hardware with it... decent ones sometimes do... good ones shouldn't but I guess it's possible. I wouldn't worry with a PCP&C.

jen4950 said:
First PSU to actually explode- should I be expecting the worst in that it took other stuff with it? Or does a PSU failure limit it'sself to the PSU? It seems to me if a cap explodes in the PSU, it can't send voltage out into the system anymore and so it shouldn't hurt anything upon failure..

Any experiences otherwise?

It all depends on which side of the PSU it failed on.

so your exploded psu was a silencer series? If so, they're seasonic. PCP&C turbo cool series are higher quality. Not to say that seasonics are bad; in fact, they've proven to be great.

But I would recommend a silverstone ST85ZF. If you can wait until december 8th, get a silverstone olympia 1000 watt.

Spectre said:
It all depends on which side of the PSU it failed on.

Exactly. You blow a rectifier on the secondary side... doesn't matter what PSU you have. ;)

cambrian said:
so your exploded psu was a silencer series? If so, they're seasonic. PCP&C turbo cool series are higher quality. Not to say that seasonics are bad; in fact, they've proven to be great.

But I would recommend a silverstone ST85ZF. If you can wait until december 8th, get a silverstone olympia 1000 watt.

he said he's within 5 years warranty, most likely it's the 510 turbo cool model not silencer (3 years warranty)

cambrian said:

Yes I can't wait to get the silverstone olympia 1000 watt and they look very good plus
I like the 1 x 12 rail also

How much is the 1KW Olympia supposed to sell for?

We need the prices to come down on this shit... some of us don't have dollar bills fallin' out of our asses. :p

Although I'm sure my Silencer 750 will do fine for me for awhile. :D

Blue Falcon said:
How much is the 1KW Olympia supposed to sell for?

We need the prices to come down on this shit... some of us don't have dollar bills fallin' out of our asses. :p

Although I'm sure my Silencer 750 will do fine for me for awhile. :D

I was told buy the company that it will cost around $330

PCP&C sucks. I bought from them about 5 years ago based on their reputation. The PS was loud and it blew up after a few days of use - took out my motherboard and video card with it. They told me my other equipment must have been bad already and that's what caused their PS to blow up - which was BS... my equipment was fine with my old power supply, I just wanted a quieter setup. After endless arguing with customer service, they agreed to send me another PS, but then they charged me for it.

There are plenty of other quality manufacturers out there.

Riddlinkidstoner said:
Is it in PC Power and Coolings warrenty to cover additional damage to connected components?
I believe if you have damaged components that they would replace those compinents provided you shipped them the damaged goods as proof. Most companies will replace damaged components in a case by case basis....call them and ask!!

I have 3 PC Power & Cooling PSU`s with no issues at all!!

Good Luck!!

By the way what was damaged?

rabident said:
PCP&C sucks. I bought from them about 5 years ago based on their reputation. The PS was loud and it blew up after a few days of use - took out my motherboard and video card with it. They told me my other equipment must have been bad already and that's what caused their PS to blow up - which was BS... my equipment was fine with my old power supply, I just wanted a quieter setup. After endless arguing with customer service, they agreed to send me another PS, but then they charged me for it.

In my opinion, they are the best out there. I've purchased 4 1Kilowatt PSU's from them, each one has been fantastic. I've called customer service many times and they've been patient and helpful. I've never had a PSU "blow up", even after owning Enermax, Sparkle, or PCP&C.

I fail to see how a company that has a reputation as high as PCP&C can suddenly "suck" after a single bad experience. *rollseyes*

cambrian said:
actually silverstone lowered it to $280.
release date pushed back to dec 8th.

They're probably correcting the 8-pin PCI-e connectors. :D With any luck, they'll be the only PSU on the market with the correct 8-pin PCI-e. ;)

Here's what blew up (it had a custom harness..)

PCPAC_510_Custom.jpg

Don't have the replacement yet- will let you know if anything was damaged..

The Win-tact Turbo-cools are usually pretty good and don't fail to often. The last few failures I can remember people posting about were on the primary so nothing else was lost. Hopefully yours was the same.

rabident said:

I call shens on that being a real PCP&C.

Loud maybe, but the rest doesn't sound like them.

lopoetve said:

I agree-

I had this thing maxed out for a solid 3 years running 24x7 except when I was out of town. I have 4 optical drives, 8 SATA HDD's (4 750GB's), 3 15k rpm SCSI's and full slots running off of this thing- I'd say it did well all things considered..

I changed my order by the way, going with a custom 1KW..

Much as you love to love PC Power and Cooling, remember, EVERYTHING has a failure rate. You can go through a billion powmax's and not have a single one destroy your rig, but your first pcp*c could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabident

Exactly!! Granted every manufacturer has a certain amount if PSU`s that fail....

But I would seriously quetion the validity of the rest of this persons statements
--
They told me my other equipment must have been bad already and that's what caused their PS to blow up - which was BS... my equipment was fine with my old power supply, I just wanted a quieter setup. After endless arguing with customer service, they agreed to send me another PS, but then they charged me for it.

Have fun!!

But I would recommend a silverstone ST85ZF

I built a new system with an ST85ZF a couple of weeks ago and the PSU exploded within about 2 seconds on the first power up. Swapped in a Seasonic S12 600W and everything has been fine since.

Like someone else said, everything has a failure rate. :(

Bbq said:
Much as you love to love PC Power and Cooling, remember, EVERYTHING has a failure rate. You can go through a billion powmax's and not have a single one destroy your rig, but your first pcp*c could.
it's how they deal with it though, and that didn't sound like PCP&C responses

Update:

I have really been impressed with PCP&C response on this one-

RMA'ing no problem, and they are rushing my new custom one considering the dead one and being a previous customer.

Another good bit of news-

Got the 750W in the mail (I didn't cancel the order soon enough, so I'm going to go ahead and order the 1kw and use the 750w in my old machine.) and put it in the old machine tonight..

Looks like the PCP&C PSU didn't take anything with it- everything is up and running.. including my full backup..

I must say, it certainly appears you get what you pay for- they are RMA'ing my old one too-

great :cool:
I can't wait to get one of these for myself... I think I'm gonna save for the 1kw one :)

Back