PCP&C 750w Silencer: Exploded with fire...

thebeephaha

2[H]4U
My poor server...

Blew the fuse too and my battery backup... it's not doing so well but more on that later.

It is weird, I only had about a 250w load on that PSU 24/7, I don't know what caused it to fail.

But the rig turned off and I was like hmmm wtf. So I turned it back on and BAM. :( Lots of smoke and lots of sparks then smoldering. Insanely hot to the touch.

Now begins the RMA process and my server is offline and I have no idea if the other hardware is still OK or not. :(

OCZ Rep man! Care to help with the RMA? :confused:

(I can provide any paperwork and and details about my server if need be.)

Last edited:
If it makes you feel better, I had a Fuhjyyu infested PSU on a ReadyNAS NV+ go bad - the drives did survive. I also had a Antec SmartPower go out too, no damage to the system.

I've had PSUs blow up as well, no damage to disks or mainboards

actually had an ECS mainboard light on fire once (all by itself), no damage to anything but the case and mainboard

hopefully everything is good, and they should sort a new PSU out quickly

Ran to best buy like I kid you not, 3 min before closing and impulse bought this baby:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...upply&lp=3&type=product&cp=2&id=1218099648969

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/bfgs_new_1000w_power_supply_only_available_best_buy

It was the best they had there but plugged it in and so far *fingers crossed* my server lives again. Pretty weak on molex connectors though but I had lots of Y cables so I managed.

I'd wait for an RMA but my server HAS to be online as it runs my website, fileserver, media server, etc...

Pics or shens!

Seriously, I want pics of fire damage...........:)

Ran to best buy like I kid you not, 3 min before closing and impulse bought this baby:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...upply&lp=3&type=product&cp=2&id=1218099648969

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/bfgs_new_1000w_power_supply_only_available_best_buy

It was the best they had there but plugged it in and so far *fingers crossed* my server lives again. Pretty weak on molex connectors though but I had lots of Y cables so I managed.

I'd wait for an RMA but my server HAS to be online as it runs my website, fileserver, media server, etc...
That was a waste for a server that only uses 250W of power. You'd have been better off with this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9175698&type=product&id=1218045946501

I had a Thermaltake PSU blow up on me.. teh ATX 12V connector actually melted itself to the mobo... it also took out my CPU, but everything else was OK.

Fucking Thermaltake.

That was a waste for a server that only uses 250W of power. You'd have been better off with this: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9175698&type=product&id=1218045946501

Well I am 8 drives short right now, I'm in the middle of upgrading. I also normally have a better GPU for folding, but that is also not in there either.

So I will fill it in more later. Normal use is around 350-450 I'd say, but it is nice to have room to grow. Especially if I ever need a better CPU vs the low watt model I have now.

Last edited:
Pics or shens!

Seriously, I want pics of fire damage...........:)

Well it was more flames and sparks outta the back of the PSU. But it was pretty intense. The thing that amazed me was how HOT the PSU was to the touch, burning hot.

I almost wonder if the fan failed and it overheated, then when I tried to power it back up, pop.

Left over damage isn't too visible though my battery backup doesn't seem to be working right now, it thinks it's in a power outage all the time and just beeps when I plug it in. :(

Last edited:
I had a Thermaltake PSU blow up on me.. teh ATX 12V connector actually melted itself to the mobo... it also took out my CPU, but everything else was OK.

Fucking Thermaltake.

Hey, I had the same thing happen to me! A 560 watt silent purepower or something... I have pics.

pics?

Exploding/burning computer parts due to defects/faults/etc are always fun to look at.

Pretty weak on molex connectors though but I had lots of Y cables so I managed.

You need more than 9 Molex connectors? Yowza! Most people have SATA drives these days (including optical), which is why the EX-1000 has 12 SATA connectors.

You need more than 9 Molex connectors? Yowza! Most people have SATA drives these days (including optical), which is why the EX-1000 has 12 SATA connectors.

Yea these Norco cases need 11 molex just for backplane connections. Somehow my unit only has six Molex, I think it is missing a cable.

Yeah I know that. I'm not dumb.

It just seemed like the red ones had more failures. Red must just be an unlucky color.

Last week I had a silverstone 750 fail to power on a system, tried it in another system that was running fine for a year and it didn't power on either, and now it (the known good system) doesn't power on with anything. Sad.

Yea these Norco cases need 11 molex just for backplane connections. Somehow my unit only has six Molex, I think it is missing a cable.

actually you only need to connect one side of the molex...

they are redundant for redundant PSUs

i have my norco 4020 running on a 650w PSU and only one side of the backplane connected.

actually you only need to connect one side of the molex...

they are redundant for redundant PSUs

i have my norco 4020 running on a 650w PSU and only one side of the backplane connected.

Still, I'd rather have them connected. No reason not to if you have the cables available.

Damn. Was it the red one? Been hearing some problems with those ones.

Yea it was red.

Come to think of it, this is one of the ones that was majorly on sale about 6mo back where they were going for like $75 all over the web for like a month then the price returned to normal almost as fast as these went on sale.

Secret blowout of a known bad batch? Conspiracy theory? You be the judge. :eek:

had a brand new corsair hx750 ( the modular one i get em mixed up now)( only had it plugged in for 15 mins) basically nuke my system last week.
m2n32sli, xfi xtreme gamer (puff of smoke with no visible signs of damage), dvd burner, 150gb raptor, 320gb (fire and smoke via the power connection)sg all toast.

Back